What is the best medication for my dog's tick problem?

My 10 yr old Golden Retriever has been on a monthly dose of Advantage Flea medication for years. Today I found a TICK on him near his butt. What is the best Tick medication for tick prevention.

My 10 yr old Golden Retriever has been on a monthly dose of Advantage Flea medication for years. Today I found a TICK on him near his butt. What is the best Tick medication for tick prevention....
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best medication for my dog's tick problem?...

• What is the best medication for my dog's tick problem?

What is the best medication for my dog's tick problem? Other Pet Discussions
      My 10 yr old Golden Retriever has been on a monthly dose of Advantage Flea medication for years. Today I found a TICK on him near his butt. What is the best Tick medication for tick prevention.

What is the best medication for my dog's tick problem? Other Pet Discussions
    • I'm not sure if Advantage repels ticks or just kills the ones that bite. My dog is on Frontline and I occasionally find a dead tick on him when I'm grooming.

• We have used monthly Frontline on our dog. But I imagine they're fairly close in formulas and methods. We have occasionally found a tick on our dog after a walk in the woods or being at the dog park but they have never 'latched' on. I can't remember how the vet worded it but it is not a repellant necessarily just a method of protection. You may still find ticks on your dog but they will not harm and will fall off/die if he is current on his application. www.frontline.com

• This is straight from the guys who research the tick-borne diseases: The best protection from ticks is Frontline, along with a Preventic collar. the Frontline will protect your dog from ticks for around three weeks - and fleas a month (that's important too) - but the Preventic collar will get rid of ticks for three months! One thing to note - in the instructions that come with frontline, they suggest that you apply some of the liquid at the base of a large dog's tail, as well as between the shoulder blades.

• I recomend Only Natural Pet Herbal Defense Oil Blend. Once you remove all the ticks, you can use this oil to rub all over your pet. I use this instead of harsh pesiticides, and I have yet to find a flea or tick. I have tried many natural products, and this is by far the best one. You can buy it on onlynaturalpets.com As an alternative, you can rub almond and neem oil over your pet, which will repel most insects. You can also help protect your dog against fleas and ticks by feeding garlic based treats, like Grrr Lick. Garlic is not poisonous to dogs if given in the right dosage. It actually takes a huge amount of garlic to even make a dog ill.