What are some fun games that you can play on horses?

I teach a young girl to ride horses but she gets bored easily. I need some fun games for her to play that will educate her and excite her!Please help!

I teach a young girl to ride horses but she gets bored easily. I need some fun games for her to play that will educate her and excite her!Please help!...
    Dogs Training Discussions : What are some fun games that you can play on horses?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What are some fun games that you can play on horses?

What are some fun games that you can play on horses? Dogs Training Discussions
      I teach a young girl to ride horses but she gets bored easily. I need some fun games for her to play that will educate her and excite her!Please help!

What are some fun games that you can play on horses? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Around the worlds, you turn all the way over in the saddle, turning to one side, then the next side, then the next side, then back to your original position. Also, try putting whiffle balls or baseballs on stools all over the riding area or something so they're are equal level to her knees when she's on the horse. Then ask her to retrieve the balls. If she is an experienced rider then you can timer her and see how fast she can retrieve them. This teaches her balance and accuracy all at the same time. Pole bending, going in and out of the poles, weaving. You don't have to go as fast as the pros, you can turn it down a little. Sorry, I wish I could help more!!! Happy HolidaysAnd good luck

• There is a thing called Around The World. To play it, you will need a calm horse, that will not get scared easily. You hold the horse, and have the girl go in circles on the horses back. It is really fun, and can help teach the girl to balance.Try it sometime (not JUST with her!!) and I can garuntee. Its REALLY fun!!!!!!!!

• Obsticle courses - they have them at horse shows too under "trail courses" they usually consist of going over poles, around cones, over a wooden bridge or planks, over a plastic tarp (these two are harder then they sound) having a mailbox nailed to the side of the ring and maiking the horse stand there as the rider takes out and puts in the mail back in. having a small like 6'' jump for the rider to trot over (just to count strides). You can also incorperate figure 8's and serpentines, which if you are an english rider and trotting you can make sure they are changing diagonals. If they are cantoring they can either do flying lead changes or stop and change leads. When I took beginner lessons my "homework" was to make up my own obstacle course for the next week, some of which I made quite elaborate.

• Egg on the spoon, teaches balance and equitation.Around the world, rider does a 360 on atop the horse.Obstacle courses, helps with training and controlling the horse. I use to sit up a mini obstacle course like you would find on trails.Simon Says, working with a lounge line on the horse give the rider different commands. Like droppping the reins and arms out, dropping stirrups, etc.

• Around the world (already explained) egg in a spoon race, barrel racing is always great fun, trot racing against you on another horse. This will give her the satisfaction if she beats you. Scissors, where you lay on your stomach and put your legs out like a pair of scissors, umm... anything else?

• Apple Bob: place a bunch of apples in a large (72 quart) bucket --- no water!!-- and ride your horse to the bucket, dismount, you get to bob for an apple then use the apple to lead your horse back across the finish line with out touching the reins/bridle. Musical Sacks: just like the people version, only on horseback. Tends to get a bit wild when there are fewer sacks left, but can tone it down.Jousting: set up 2 rows of 3 poles with PVC rings attached to the top(we used a dowel with a 1/2 piece of PVC as a "cup" to hold the ring, then placed a piece of velcro on the cup and one on the ring so it wouldnt slide off) and a barrel at the apex. should look something like this -<-<-<-<-<-< S/F = = = 0 ^>->->->->->^Use a long broom handle (without the bristles) and ride down the outside of one side and catch all 3 rings, then go on the outside of the barrel and back down the other outside of the poles and catch all the rings. We have some people who do this at a gallop, seems the faster you ride, the more rings you catch.