I have an English Choc Lab puppy and he has droppy jaws and very course hair is this normal?

My American Lab Dog 3 years old doesn't have droppy jaws and her coat is very fine not course.

I have an English Choc Lab puppy and he has droppy jaws and very course hair is this normal?

My American Lab Dog 3 years old doesn't have droppy jaws and her coat is very fine not course....
    General Dog Discussions : I have an English Choc Lab puppy and he has droppy jaws and very course hair is this normal?...

• I have an English Choc Lab puppy and he has droppy jaws and very course hair is this normal?

I have an English Choc Lab puppy and he has droppy jaws and very course hair is this normal? General Dog Discussions
      My American Lab Dog 3 years old doesn't have droppy jaws and her coat is very fine not course.

I have an English Choc Lab puppy and he has droppy jaws and very course hair is this normal? General Dog Discussions
    • I had a Yellow Lab with soft fine fur. He was American bred. From the same REPUTABLE breeder (RemedyLabradors.com) 2 years later we got a Chocolate Lab whose father was from Europe.He has thick, coarse fur and droopy jaws. My Yellow did not. My Chocolate is now almost 11 years old. I know longer purchase dogs.So I would say yes, your Chocolate probably looks like mine. Can you post a pic?

• Yes, from what you describe your Chocolate Lab conforms to standard so the traits you listed are normal for his breed. Your other Lab, however, is not a good representation of what a real Labrador should look like.It's incorrect to differentiate between the two lines of Labs as American or English. What you really should be saying is Field-bred/working bred or Conformation (show) bred. Only differentiate American vs English when talking about where the dog was born.Field-bred Labs are often called "American Labs" and do not conform to the breed standard. Having a snippy muzzle and a soft or fine coat are all serious faults in the breed standard. Many field-bred labs will have a softer and finer coat, because it tends to catch less plant debris when in the field. Of course, these types of dogs DO NOT work in the way a TRUE Lab should work, which is why they look so different. They are bred for what is advantageous in the field (lighter taller build, thinner softer coat), not for what is advantageous in the water.Conformation bred Labradors should have a very thick and very coarse coat that aids them in water retrieves, which is what Labs were originally bred for. A coarse coat also repels more water than a soft one would and is much more easier to dry.from the akc breed standard:"The coat is a distinctive feature of the Labrador Retriever. It should be short, straight and very dense, giving a fairly hard feeling to the hand. The Labrador should have a soft, weather-resistant undercoat that provides protection from water, cold and all types of ground cover. A slight wave down the back is permissible. Woolly coats, soft silky coats, and sparse slick coats are not typical of the breed, and should be severely penalized"Here is a website that better explains the differences between field bred and show bred or American/English Labs:http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/english-american.html