How to get a dog adjusted in a new environment?

I have recently aquired my childhood dog she is a 8 year old Siberian husky. I have a min pin poodle mix who is a 3 year old female they have spent time together before we moved her and they get along fine. Now that she is completely in the home there…

I have recently aquired my childhood dog she is a 8 year old Siberian husky. I have a min pin poodle mix who is a 3 year old female they have spent time together before we moved her and they get along fine. Now that she is completely in the home there…...
    General Dog Discussions : How to get a dog adjusted in a new environment?...

• How to get a dog adjusted in a new environment?

How to get a dog adjusted in a new environment? General Dog Discussions
      I have recently aquired my childhood dog she is a 8 year old Siberian husky. I have a min pin poodle mix who is a 3 year old female they have spent time together before we moved her and they get along fine. Now that she is completely in the home there has been a little growling from both and I can't seem to get her out of hiding in the hallway. I know it will take time but anyone have any advice about the growling and making her feel more comfortable?

How to get a dog adjusted in a new environment? General Dog Discussions
    • Bring pieces of her old home to the new home, like toys or familiar items. also, you can put the dogs on leashes and walk them past each other a few times to get them used to each other. it will take time though so be patient.

• Just keep her in one room at first, then two, slowly expand. Maybe someone could walk the mini-pin poodle while the husky explores... make a food trail around the house?As far as growling I would keep them separated and very slowly let them get closer to each other. At first for a week just let them smell each other (be in the same house) then let them hear each other (be in adjacent rooms) then let them see each other (separated by a baby gate) then finally maybe they can be around each other.It is good that they got along before but the mini pin might think "what is this dog in my territory getting attention from my caretaker??" so just keep it slow so they don't have a fight.

• When dogs experience drastic changes in themselves or in their environment, they deal with by starting a new habit that makes them feel comfortable, the best way to help your dog to get over the stress is to spend more time with it and build its confidence back. Its best if you use this quality time together by training it or teaching it a new trick so it can also take its mind off whatever is bothering him. Eventually it will get its confidence back and live a happy normal life again.I recommend that you watch my 4 minute dog training video at http://tiny.ly/oG3h which will give you important tips on how to effectively train your dog and help it adjust to the new environment.Enjoy the bonding time with your dog while training - this builds his confidence and makes him more enthusiastic with the training. – Hope my advice helps!