How to train a stubborn German Shepherd puppy?

Just last week I bought a male German Shepherd puppy and I found out in the next few days, the dog is a little bit stubborn. I know that there are stubborn dog training courses but its expensive. Anybody who has knowledge about how to deal with my dog,…

Just last week I bought a male German Shepherd puppy and I found out in the next few days, the dog is a little bit stubborn. I know that there are stubborn dog training courses but its expensive. Anybody who has knowledge about how to deal with my dog,…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How to train a stubborn German Shepherd puppy?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to train a stubborn German Shepherd puppy?

How to train a stubborn German Shepherd puppy? Dogs Training Discussions
      Just last week I bought a male German Shepherd puppy and I found out in the next few days, the dog is a little bit stubborn. I know that there are stubborn dog training courses but its expensive. Anybody who has knowledge about how to deal with my dog, please share. Thanks a lot.

How to train a stubborn German Shepherd puppy? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Saying your dog is "stubborn" is a pretty broad statement to make. What exactly is it that you are having an issue with?How old is your puppy?The thing is - when you make the commitment to buy a dog, especially one of a working breed that needs mental stimulation and physical activities, you have to commit to the idea that you and your dog will need to go to a professional trainer. Especially when this is your first dog or your first dog in this particular breed. The training courses are worth it - because if you can not properly raise this dog and give it the boundaries it needs, you will end up with a liability on your hands in one form or another.Find a REPUTABLE trainer. None of this Petsmart or other franchise crap.You can do this by googling a Schutzhund club in your area, emailing them and asking them for a reference for a trainer to do basic obedience with.

• I've never once run into a stubborn GSD, especially as a puppy. Sometimes an adult is stubborn, usually the result of poor training or socialization. GSD's are incredibly intelligent dogs and also highly energetic. Exercise your puppy before you try any training techniques so that it can focus better. Also enroll in good quality obedience classes. They'll train you so you can educate your puppy. You'll be a better owner and gain the skills you need to gain your puppy's trust, attention, and respect. Once you do that, you can train a GSD to do just about anything.

• German Shepherds are not stubborn, they are smart. Intelligence is not equal to trainability. While smart breeds are typically highly trainable, they can be more of a challenge, particularly for inexperienced handlers. This is part of the reason GSDs come with that tag "not for first time owners". The best explaination I have heard is that they think around the training.I second the suggestion you find yourself a good trainer to assist you. Like they said, not a pet store chain trainer. If you think a GSD puppy is stubborn, wait until you meet a teenage GSD puppy, particularly if you don't get a handle on this now. Where did you get the GSD? Contact the breeder as well for some assistance.

• he's not stubborn, he's a puppy!!!first thing is first- don't rush training with a german shepherd pup. there IS a thing as "too much, too young"work on housebreaking first. while you're doing that, reward him with play, praise, )and food, if you like) for EVERYTHING he does that you like. he walks over and sits next to your foot? GOOD PUPPY, give him some lovins! he lays down in the middle of the carpet and relaxes? GOOD PUPPY!!for everything you DON'T LIKE- discourage him. NEVER hit or scream at your puppy.if he chews on you, look him sternly in the eye and say in a low growly voice "CUT IT OUT". ignore him for a few seconds. dont' even look at him. then, grab a toy and have some fun. when he bites the toy, encourage him to do that (moving it just a little bit helps!) and GOOD PUPPY!!! he will soon learn that when he bites you, he gets chastised and ignored, but when he chews a toy, he's the best puppy ever!if he jumps on you, turn around, ignore him, be very boring. but when he's just standing or sitting calmly again, give him the attention he wants. he'll figure out what gets him what he wants VERY quickly!same with housebreaking. don't hit your puppy or rub his nose in it. PREVENT him from pottying in the house by taking him out often, and praise like crazy when he goes outside. don't allow him to roam the house, either, he needs to be right with you, or in the crate if you cannot watch him.a puppy class isn't a bad idea, especially for the socialization, but right now you need to just bond and show him what you like and don't like.

• Why does a [labradorlover] have a GSD?How old is the pup?Is it still under return-for-full-refund Guarantee? - because if YOU think it is stubborn then you don't know enough about dogs to cope with an intelligent one.Wee GSD pups of the proper 7-to-9 weeks age for rehoming are not stubborn.But they DO need a reason to want to please their kidnapper.The first rule of training is "Dogs do what they do because they WANT to."The second rule is "Trainers must be 100% consistent durign the training stages."So YOUR first task is to convince Pup that the world is a fun, safe place and that you are the source of everything good in the universe. It is pretty obvious that you haven't succeeded yet - on the first day Pup should LOVE coming whenever you call, because it has discovered that when you make those intriguing sounds & hunch yourself down it will get praised for coming, and then it will get rubs or pats & either a game or a tidbit.And you should be concentrating on learning his timing & signals for such as "Wanna go toilet" and "Wanna BITE something!" so that you can instantly take the appropriate action.You should also be booked in to a proper weekly training club class (forget pet-shop play-groups) that will start when Pup is 18-22 weeks old, so that YOU get coached on your use of "the voices", posture aka body language, balance, timing, rewards vs reprimands - and at the same time Pup learns to pay attention regardless of what other dogs & people are doing.You NEED to have Pup's trust & affection before getting into that class. So WORK at it. Pups are not electronic toys that you programme once and can switch off in between uses.Except at night, Pup should be living with you, getting used to your sounds & movements.And until you are in a class and the instructor says differently, EVERYTHING you try to train pup to do is to be done using praise & rewards - pats, rubs, games, tidbits.If you can't afford the time & fees for a club class, you can't afford an intelligent dog.• Add http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source to your browser's Bookmarks or Favorites so that you can easily look up such as rescue groups, feeding, vaccinations, worming, clubs, weights, teething, neutering, disorders, genetics.• To ask about GSDs, join some of the 400+ YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with them. Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are. Unlike YA, they are set up so that you can have an ongoing discussion with follow-up questions for clarification. Most allow you to include photos in your messages.Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly"In GSDs" as of 1967

• It really needs a patience for you as the owner of the puppy. I know that in the process whatever lessons you are trying to inculcate to his young mind may eventually learned by him. Dogs are naturally smart. Right? Hope this helps!