my dog has a dry eye disease and bites when trying to put eye drops in?

my dog an 8 year old male maltese wont let me put eye drops in his eye. we even bought a muzzle now he won't let us put it on him. he bit the last person that tried to put the muzzle on him and made her thumb bleed.. im frustrated he has to take the…

my dog an 8 year old male maltese wont let me put eye drops in his eye. we even bought a muzzle now he won't let us put it on him. he bit the last person that tried to put the muzzle on him and made her thumb bleed.. im frustrated he has to take the…...
    General Dog Discussions : my dog has a dry eye disease and bites when trying to put eye drops in?...

• my dog has a dry eye disease and bites when trying to put eye drops in?

my dog has a dry eye disease and bites when trying to put eye drops in? General Dog Discussions
      my dog an 8 year old male maltese wont let me put eye drops in his eye. we even bought a muzzle now he won't let us put it on him. he bit the last person that tried to put the muzzle on him and made her thumb bleed.. im frustrated he has to take the ointment for the rest of his life as he doesn't produce tears at alll. as a result he has mucousy eyes and nose and can barely see anywhere. i don't know what to do anymore. im tired and depressed from seeing him suffer everyday. i have no solutions left.

my dog has a dry eye disease and bites when trying to put eye drops in? General Dog Discussions
    • You may want to start using a towel as a muzzle. But before you do that, train him to like the towel. Lay the towel on his face, and make it fun and give him a treat afterards. Keep working up to using the towel as a muzzel by wrapping more of his mouth over days. Good chance he'll accept it if you reward him each time. A little hunger will make him a little more cooperative. Another option.I have a cat who hates his medicine, and will bite me. I open his mouth and put some of the soft flesh in his mouth so if he bites me, he would bite himself first. If you wrap your dog in a towel first like you would do after you bath him. He will be easy to control. Open his mouth and put take your thumb and forfinger and gently push a little of his soft flesh on his teeth so his mouth remains open. This is done at the base of his mouth and jaw. Talk nice to him and have someone else put in the drops. Always give him a snack after the drops and that way he will start to realize the drops are not bad, they mean snack.

• Is there any way someone can hold his mouth closed for you? My dog has dirty ears and he nips so I usually have my mom keep his mouth closed with her hand. Just give him a treat afterwards