How to quickly train my dog to listen to me?

Not something that will take months, if I don't get him under control my whitetrash neighbors will call the police or something.I've been told things about this Don Sullivan guy and his dog training DVD/command collar. Anyone know of this? It's supposed…

Not something that will take months, if I don't get him under control my whitetrash neighbors will call the police or something.I've been told things about this Don Sullivan guy and his dog training DVD/command collar. Anyone know of this? It's supposed…...
    Dogs Training Discussions : How to quickly train my dog to listen to me?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to quickly train my dog to listen to me?

How to quickly train my dog to listen to me? Dogs Training Discussions
      Not something that will take months, if I don't get him under control my whitetrash neighbors will call the police or something.I've been told things about this Don Sullivan guy and his dog training DVD/command collar. Anyone know of this? It's supposed to work faster than most methods but I'm not sure what it is. I don't want to hurt my dog, just want him to listen.

How to quickly train my dog to listen to me? Dogs Training Discussions
    • Training a dog takes a long time. PetsMart has dog obedience classes that are fairly inexpensive. You can watch 'Cesar Milan,Dog Whisperer' on TV (and YouTube.)Also check YouTube for "dog training". There are 100's of videos on there.You should note that if you are trying to train a puppy the dog should be at least 8 months old before you start training. When they are young they don't "get" that you are trying to train them.Good luck.

• It depends a lot on the dog, and its age, a dog between 6 months to 2 years, will learn basic commands quickly with good positive reinforcement and patience. Also the Breed matters, dogs, like Collies, Shepards, and Even some bully breeds ( rottie, pit, doberman) will learn pretty quickly, where as more stubborn breeds, Huskies, Shelties, Some terriers, will learn slower, not because of intelligence but out of stubbornness.What commands are you teaching it?Sit, Stay, Down, can be picked up in a few weeks.Leash training in a few weeks as well.But commands like quite, for not barking, and calm, for not jumping take a while (2 months), since dogs are breed to bark, jump and be active.

• Yes, that is an excellent program! I've used many other training programs, and as hard as I tried, they weren't complying. I've got 3 mini-dachshunds, very hard-headed. But when I saw the infomercial, I thought it was too good to be true, but I'd try it. My dogs literally changed in minutes. I wasn't able to get through the entire program before I had to stop due to health problems in the family, but it's been a year without training and they still do what they learned and know that I rule the house, not them. It turned my little terrors into little angels. And, believe it or not, they loved training and were so excited. I really need to start back up and finish the program. I very highly recommend the program!

• Just try to remember that your dog is not going to learn the English language overnight. Start by teaching him three simple commands - sit, stay, and down. Once he has mastered these three, you can move on to "quiet". This might be the one the neighbors are complaining about. Lots of repetition will help!