How do I acclimate my 18 year old cat to a new home?

My cat who is 18 years old has been living with my mother at her house since I got married almost 9 years ago. She and her brother had never been apart since birth and my new husband had several pets including 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 iguana, 1 tortoise,…

My cat who is 18 years old has been living with my mother at her house since I got married almost 9 years ago. She and her brother had never been apart since birth and my new husband had several pets including 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 iguana, 1 tortoise,…...
    General Dog Discussions : How do I acclimate my 18 year old cat to a new home?...

• How do I acclimate my 18 year old cat to a new home?

How do I acclimate my 18 year old cat to a new home? General Dog Discussions
      My cat who is 18 years old has been living with my mother at her house since I got married almost 9 years ago. She and her brother had never been apart since birth and my new husband had several pets including 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 iguana, 1 tortoise, several frogs etc. Anyway, I felt that it would be better for all concerned to leave my 2 cats with my parents and familiar surroundings. My mom and dad took great care of them and loved them very much. The male cat (her brother) passed away last year and she went through a very tough time without him but soon got back to her old self. My father passed away this year in January and my mom has come to live with us at our home. We are getting their house ready for sale and have yet to bring my sweet kitty over to our home. Does anyone have any knowledge or experiences they might want to share on how we can make this as painless as possible for my 18 year old kitty? We don't have the dogs anymore but do still have the 2 cats at our home.

How do I acclimate my 18 year old cat to a new home? General Dog Discussions
    • He will get used to it specially because your mom is with you, try to keep him in the same room with your mom and he will be OK . you seem to be a very good person congratulations on bringing your cat but specially your mom,

• If you can designate one room as 'hers' for the first week, that would be great. No other cats in it, no loud noises, a safe place to sleep, eat and poop. The other cats can smell her under the door and she them. And spend quality time with her in the room too. When she wants to check out the rest of the house put the other two cats into another room where they won't get themselves worked up and start yelling, then walk about 6' behind her as she checks things out. If she doesn't want to yet, give her a few more days with the solitary room and try again. Once she's looked the whole place over, tried the other cats food, looked at the other litter box and everything, set her back into her solitary room.Two hours later put the other two cats into carriers and put the carriers in the middle of the living room with a towel draped over half the front of the carrier (to block full visual of the other cats). Let her into the room to look at the other cats if she wants --don't carry her, she has to walk in on her own. They can get a look at each other without fear of quick movement.If that goes really well, let her walk around for half an hour with them still in the carrier, then put her back into the room. Then three hours later open the room's door and let them interact if they want, as you stay within helping distance (somewhere you can see them to monitor, but not be directly involved.A gradual introduction like this usually works out pretty good. But that first night they all mingle should have her back in the room for the time everyone in the house is sleeping. Then full access after that.

• We have cats through out all of our extended family. We normally let them out in one room, then gradually extend it to other parts of the home by opening doors as we go. We have in the past simply let the cat explore, however in an older cat, it sometimes helps to let them take it slow.