Is my dog ill or just getting old with allergies?

OK, so my dog, a Pomeranian shiztzu has rather quickly lost his hearing over the last few months. About a year ago if you opened a banana downstairs he would hear it from upstairs and would be down beside you immediately begging. He is getting old, he is…

OK, so my dog, a Pomeranian shiztzu has rather quickly lost his hearing over the last few months. About a year ago if you opened a banana downstairs he would hear it from upstairs and would be down beside you immediately begging. He is getting old, he is…...
    General Dog Discussions : Is my dog ill or just getting old with allergies?...

• Is my dog ill or just getting old with allergies?

Is my dog ill or just getting old with allergies? General Dog Discussions
      OK, so my dog, a Pomeranian shiztzu has rather quickly lost his hearing over the last few months. About a year ago if you opened a banana downstairs he would hear it from upstairs and would be down beside you immediately begging. He is getting old, he is 11 years old, but the hearing loss came about all of the sudden. He also has mellowed alot in the time that he has lost his hearing. He has always had high levels of alphafetaprotein, but his doctor have tested for cushings every year and it has always been negative. Recently we found an enlarged mass on the side of his neck that seems to be an enlarged lymph node. He has been coughing for about 3 days whenever he gets excited. Maybe he is just getting old and has allergies, so we have given him a benadryl for the last three nights and his coughing has seemed to get slightly better. Im just curious if any vets had any insight on whether or not we should take him to the vet for them to charge 500 dollars to look at the swollen node on his neck to just say that it is fine. ThanksThe general check-up would not, but they would have to conduct a biopsy before they could have any valid results. They biopsy would be at least 500.

Is my dog ill or just getting old with allergies? General Dog Discussions
    • No vets here, If it were my dog I would take to a vet. A small dog, and a little dog, you need to get to the vet asap. A general check up will not cost $500, Swollen lymph nodes don't happen for no reason, it is either cancer or an infection which needs treated.