Has your puppy or dog ever had worms?

Our puppy just passed worms in her stool. We just got her and just took her to the vet today. She got her ringworm med just today. (She won't eat it, so I have to contact the vet Monday). Anyway, what did you do when you found out your dog had worms and…

Has your puppy or dog ever had worms?

Our puppy just passed worms in her stool. We just got her and just took her to the vet today. She got her ringworm med just today. (She won't eat it, so I have to contact the vet Monday). Anyway, what did you do when you found out your dog had worms and…...
    General Dog Discussions : Has your puppy or dog ever had worms?...

• very common and stay calm... my puppy had worms 2, ask the vet what you can do to make ur puppy more comfortable and how to feed her.good luck

• It doesnt hapen to often. She probably got them from the place you got her. When our dog had worms we fed her tobaco. She would not eat it so we would half to hold her mouth open and stick it down her throte. They will swallow pills or meds that way. Its not fun but it works.

• Dogs and cats will both get worms of different types. Treatment will vary for the different types. Your vet should know exactly what kind of worm or worms your pet has and how they should be treated. Just follow the vets instructions carefully and call your vet with questions or if there are complications of some kind. By the way ringworm is not actually a worm. It's a fungus. You have done what you should by taking her to the vet. God bless!!

• Yes all 5 of my dogs have had worms and it is disgusting. worms are common depending on the enviroment and there are about 100 different ways they can get them. i wouldnt worry, but try mixin her medicine in with her food. she may not want to eat thogh because the worms have upset her stomachHope this Helps

• Worms is VERY VERY common in dogs. Our dogs live on a farm and get them every now and then. Worms are usually passed from: your dog ingesting another animals stool, or eating a rabbit or rodent of that sort. Your doggie will be fine! To give her or him the medicine, hide it in a peace of meat or a yummy treat like that. Your dog will fall for the trick and gobble up the treat and the medicine! Hope your doggie feels better! =)

• Did he give her pyrantel? A powder that you sprinkle in her food? If so, try putting something in the food to make it more appealing to her to get her to eat it. If it was a pill you could just pill her, open her mouth, put the pill way in the back and rub downward on her throat to help her swallow. Worms are common, especially in puppies and dogs from shelters. Just be sure to get her meds into her to get rid of the worms, and she'll be fine.

• All puppies are born with worms. I have no idea why, but they all should be dewormed on their first doctors visit. In order to give the meds, you might have to force it down. Kneel on the floor, place the puppy between your legs with it's butt closest to you so you can hold him steady. Tilt his head up and open his mouth with your fingers. Drop the pill into the back area of his throat. Close his mouth quickly and hold his mouth shut and rub his throat. He will then swallow the pill. Good luck

• It is quite common in puppies if the bitch was not wormed before she was bred. She is passing worms because her gut is infested with them. Ring worm is unusual in puppies because it is a skin infestation. The place she was born must have been filthy. Are you sure it wasn't "round worms"? They are commonly passed in stool. That's usually how you know they have them unless you have a stool sample done as routine health care. If I knew what medicine she was given and how you are supposed to administer it I could give you some tips for getting it into her.

• My little Cairn Terrier puppy had worms, she actually threw them up - my husband had to leave the room :). We took her to the vet and she was wormed (I believe the pet stores carry worming medication as well). You can check their stools in the yard immediately after they defecate and actually you can see that the worms are dead. It is very common for puppies to have worms.

• She should have been wormed before you got her.And she has ring worm too? Did you contact your breeder to let her know that she is allowing puppies to leave her home in this condition? The only thing you can do is to take a poop sample to the vet, get the worms properly diagnosed and get the proper medication to treat the problem.

• Yes, very common and very serious. If you mean roundworm medicine, there are a couple of things you can do. First try to disguise it in a food that the pup WILL eat. If that doesn't work, team up on it: one person get behind the dog and get a good hold on the dogs upper and lower jaws. As soon as that person opens up the dogs jaws, the other person needs to push the medicine as far down the dogs throat as possible and immediately tell the other person "NOW", and both subdue the dog and keep it's mouth closed, while stroking it's throat in a swallowing direction until you see the dog swallow. This is what the vet is going to do. If it's a chewable med that is too big for a one shot deal, divide it in to manageable pieces and give it a little at a time 1 hour between doses, (to keep the dog settled). I wouldn't wait till Monday.

• Yes my dog had ringworm like your dog and a lot of the times it goes undetected for other dogs. We were prescribed some medication and he got better in a month or so (not that he ever actually showed any symptoms). P.S. Your dog shouldn't want to eat the pill that is why you have to grind it up and sprinkle it on her food. That is what we did for my dog. Call your vet if you want to double check, but I think its all right to crush it or grind it up (the pill of course).

• My puppy had worms back when I first got her (tapeworms) - it's really no big deal - the vet gives you the pill to give to your dog to take care of the worms (just the one pill), then the dog poops out dead worms for a few days. My dog wouldn't eat the pill plain, but my vet said to wrap some cheese around it, which I did and my dog ate it. Apparently, it's a pretty common thing for a puppy to get worms - just make sure that your dog takes the pill that the vet gave you and also try to keep your dog from getting too excited after he takes the medication too - if your dog vomits soon after you give it the pill, then you have to get another one from the vet. That's what happened with my puppy -she got the worming pill, then she got really excited because I had some company over and she threw up - I ended up having to have to get another pill from the vet for my dog, then giving that pill to my dog and keeping my dog calm for the rest of the day, so that she wouldn't throw THAT one up.