What are some good lap dogs for an older lady?

My step grandma is almost fifty I think. He really wants a lap dog. They already have a lab. Her daughters. She wants a small preferably at least a little smart. No long haired dogs. One that would do ok in a colder climate. It would be an indoor dog but…

My step grandma is almost fifty I think. He really wants a lap dog. They already have a lab. Her daughters. She wants a small preferably at least a little smart. No long haired dogs. One that would do ok in a colder climate. It would be an indoor dog but…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What are some good lap dogs for an older lady?...

• What are some good lap dogs for an older lady?

What are some good lap dogs for an older lady? Other Pet Discussions
      My step grandma is almost fifty I think. He really wants a lap dog. They already have a lab. Her daughters. She wants a small preferably at least a little smart. No long haired dogs. One that would do ok in a colder climate. It would be an indoor dog but if they went somewhere something that wouldn't freeze to death. I am planning on getting her a pup (female) and want to know what the best breed would be. Also she likes dachshunds. Are they low energy though?

What are some good lap dogs for an older lady? Other Pet Discussions
    • I'm shattered. 50 is not an "older lady" Hangs head in despair.Doxies are cute but are barkers and diggers.There are Pugs and French bulldogs Some of the smaller terriers too would be good.

• NEVER buy a dog for someone as a surprise gift. You don't know what she wants; you can't even be sure if she really wants one. Buy her a book on how to choose the right breed --one that I like is Barron's Dog Breed Bible, but there are lots. Inside it, put a gift certificate for "one puppy of your choice"She'll be happier, and the whole family can --and should!-- cooperate on choosing the breed. Everyone will be happier... and you won't be getting a phone call at midnight to come and get your *&^#*& dog!!!

• dachshunds tend to have back problems. i would reccommend a pembroke/cardigan corgi, shih tzu (you can cut the fur shorter), or a chihuahua though they dont do well in the cold. theres also a mini poodle or pinscher. poodles have a lot of fur but they shed less than you think