How can I help my dog who is terrified of fireworks?

Everytime there are fireworks my dog hides under the couch, bed, or in the closet whimpering and shaking. We tried comforting her, stroaking her, playing with her, giving her treats but nothing seems to be working. Anyone have any ideas?

Everytime there are fireworks my dog hides under the couch, bed, or in the closet whimpering and shaking. We tried comforting her, stroaking her, playing with her, giving her treats but nothing seems to be working. Anyone have any ideas?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I help my dog who is terrified of fireworks?...

• How can I help my dog who is terrified of fireworks?

How can I help my dog who is terrified of fireworks? Other Pet Discussions
      Everytime there are fireworks my dog hides under the couch, bed, or in the closet whimpering and shaking. We tried comforting her, stroaking her, playing with her, giving her treats but nothing seems to be working. Anyone have any ideas?

How can I help my dog who is terrified of fireworks? Other Pet Discussions
    • Fireworks are usually only once or twice a year, so you may want to go to your vet and get a sedative in pill form for those occasions. Talk to your vet though, I'm sure that they can do something.

• u can't do anything about it. dogs hear 2 times as loud as humans do so fireworks are 2 times as loud for dogs than for us. that is how my dog is. when we do fireworks, we let my dog into a room far away and close the door so she won't hear a lot of noise

• SImple.. dont shoot off fireworks... a dog's ears are much more sensitive than a humans and she will hear the higher tones than we can and it is probably painful for her. Just dont have any fireworks around her or shoot them off in your yard etc. or dont bring her to a place that will have fireworks.She depends on her human family to protect her, she is telling you that she doesnt like it and is scared/in pain please do her a favor, be responsible and do not use the fireworks around her.

• As Nikki said above dogs hearing is so sensitive and they hear things at a higher level than we do. I also have a dog who does the same thing and what I have done for her is, I put her in a room she is comfortable in and then turn on the tv or radio so as to distract her until the fireworks are over. Good luck!!!

• Definitly don't leave the dog outside & alone when their are fireworks. You're vet can give you meds to calm the dog down. Or, my mom used to give our dog a tiny bit of reg. antihistimine & she'd be completely fine.

• Every ones answers here are correct. However, if none of these suggestions help, I would advise you to take your pet somewhere away from the noise. I know that this time of year you can hear the fireworks almost every night. At least on the 4th of July try taking your pet for a long drive far away from the noise. Turn the radio up and just enjoy each others company. If that is not an option, talk to you Vet about getting your pet some Acepromozine (Ace). It is mild and very safe. It is also very inexpensive. Depending on your dogs weight you may give her one pill on a empty stomach or two for more sedation. If she has never had anything like this before, it could effect her enough that she might sleep right through it. Once she is relaxed you might even try putting some protection in her ears. Ace is even safe enough to give it to her for several days in a row until all the celebration is over. Ace is like a puppy Valium which I personally will be taking advantage of on the night of the 4th myself. I happen to live in the country right across the highway from a fireworks stand. I know this is very hard on some pets. Good luck!

• As much as your maternal instincts may tell you otherwise, try not to pet or stroke your pup when she's upset. This will encourage her behavior. Stay near her for support, and speak in a calming voice. If she's been kennel- or crate-trained, she'll probably feel safest in her "den."