What are some tips on how to get my dog comfortable to the idea of a new baby?

This is my first child. The when I asked the vet this question, I was told to take a baby doll and treat it like it was a baby. I am looking for other suggestions.

This is my first child. The when I asked the vet this question, I was told to take a baby doll and treat it like it was a baby. I am looking for other suggestions....
    Other Pet Discussions : What are some tips on how to get my dog comfortable to the idea of a new baby?...

• What are some tips on how to get my dog comfortable to the idea of a new baby?

What are some tips on how to get my dog comfortable to the idea of a new baby? Other Pet Discussions
      This is my first child. The when I asked the vet this question, I was told to take a baby doll and treat it like it was a baby. I am looking for other suggestions.

What are some tips on how to get my dog comfortable to the idea of a new baby? Other Pet Discussions
    • Get your dog familar with the smells of a new baby, powders lotions ect... When you come home from the hospitol with the baby, have someone else hold the baby and you greet your dog (to avoid jealousy) introduce the dog(on a leash) to the baby allow him to smell the baby, and tell the dog be easy with the baby. I too was very nervous when I had my first baby about how my dog would act and accept the baby. But, I didn't have any problems with her. My dog loved the baby instantly and was ever gentle and loyal and protective of all three of my kids til the day she died. Usually they are pretty accepting of your new family member and learn from you that this is something we have to love and protect. Just remember though, that even though you may trust your pets, all animals need to be supervised when around babies and small children.

• when i had my first baby i had my husband bring home a blanket i had wrapped my baby in at the hospital and place it near my dogs bed to get her used to the smell. then i made sure to give us some time together when the baby would go to bed. this seemed to help her adjust and i havent had a problem yet. good luck!

• Let you dog get familar with the new babys smell, let the dog smell something of the babys and make sure you give the dog lots of extra attention. But do no neglect it. Make sure the dog has something with the babys smell on it, so it wont be surprised when you bring the baby home.Crystal

• Congratulations on the future new baby! Set up the room now, well in advance of the baby's arrival. That way, the room already has all the baby stuff in it, diapers, lotions, cremes, etc. Use baby lotion on yourself for a while, so the scent is not all that new. Once the baby arrives, make sure someone other than you brings the baby in so you can greet the dog. Before you get home, have a friend take a blanket the baby's been wrapped in and put it on the floor for the dog to investigate before the family comes back.While waiting for your new arrival, work with your dog in simple obedience - sit stays and down stays for example. I would also teach a 'leave it' command to get the dog to back off when you need. It's simple to teach using a piece of cheese, lunchmeat, anything your dog will love. With the leash attached, drop the food. Once the dog starts to go for it, tug the leash just enough to get him to stop and say 'leave it' and as soon as the dog looks at you, say 'okay, clean it up' or whatever your release will be, and allow the dog to eat whatever it is. Most dogs only take 2 to 3 repititions of the exercize to understand it. Then move on and use leave it without letting the dog clean it up once in a while. From there, a leave it command will make your dog leave anything alone, roadkill for example, nasty chocolate ice cream on the sidewalk, other dogs, BABIES, you know, anything you need the dog to leave alone.Hope it helps :)