How do I get rid of fish tank snails?

In the freshwater tank I have I discovered tiny snails. The mystery snails are very tiny. How do I get rid of them. I have a dozen tetras so I do not want to kill them to loose the snails. Also, is the live plant a culprit in keeping these snails alive?

In the freshwater tank I have I discovered tiny snails. The mystery snails are very tiny. How do I get rid of them. I have a dozen tetras so I do not want to kill them to loose the snails. Also, is the live plant a culprit in keeping these snails alive?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get rid of fish tank snails?...

• How do I get rid of fish tank snails?

How do I get rid of fish tank snails? Other Pet Discussions
      In the freshwater tank I have I discovered tiny snails. The mystery snails are very tiny. How do I get rid of them. I have a dozen tetras so I do not want to kill them to loose the snails. Also, is the live plant a culprit in keeping these snails alive?

How do I get rid of fish tank snails? Other Pet Discussions
    • You will have to get another tank and remove the fish from the other. Then in the tank with the snails you can put some sort of snail killer. You can buy this at a pet store. The reason for removing the fish is to keep them from dying because the snail killer can kill your fish. I did it before.

• I have the same problem. What I do is, durring the spring, I take out the snails by hand, and put them into a large tuperware container filled about 3/4 of the way with water. Then I release them into a near by pond. I don't use the snail poisen because: 1) it's wrong to kill the snails, and 2) because the snails eat alegy that gets on the walls. And don't tell me that your tank is brimming with snails and you have to use the poisen. In the last 5 years, I have realesed aroun 600 snails. I try to keep track, and this is not an exaderation. To make sure that the snails dont lay any egg sacks, remove and clean any little deccoration/fish toy thing about once a month, or if you see a lot of eggsacks on it. You should remove the live plant and through it out, as this is probably where they came from, and thus the main area that they lay there eggs. Also knock any egg-sacks that you see off the walls of the fish tank.

• You may try purchasing a clown loach or two. Although slightly pricey, their favorite food are small freshwater snails. they should be gone in no time, and the loaches are beautiful fish.

• JillyBean is correct. Clown loaches are one of the best snail removers, and they are very attractive fish. However, after a long time, clown loaches can get very big, so be prepared. Oh, and yes, plants are usually what introduces snails to a tank.

• Snails breed rapidly and if you don't scoop out the jelly like egg sacks you see in the tank and adhereing to the walls,decor, and plants then there will be more. If you allow the sanils to grow an apple (or mystery snail will rapidly grow to about 4 inches in diameter) . You may want to physically remove them from the tank and release them as mentioned below or how about offering them to a local pet store.