How do I get my dog to use the doggy-door to go outside and come back in if she's scared of the door?

She's a sheltie and very skittish. We've tried enticing her with treats and holding the flap open. She paws at the bottom of the doggy-door square-opening (between bottom of doggy door flap and the bottom of the actual door) as if she's afraid it will…

How do I get my dog to use the doggy-door to go outside and come back in if she's scared of the door?

She's a sheltie and very skittish. We've tried enticing her with treats and holding the flap open. She paws at the bottom of the doggy-door square-opening (between bottom of doggy door flap and the bottom of the actual door) as if she's afraid it will…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my dog to use the doggy-door to go outside and come back in if she's scared of the door?...

• How do I get my dog to use the doggy-door to go outside and come back in if she's scared of the door?

How do I get my dog to use the doggy-door to go outside and come back in if she's scared of the door? Other Pet Discussions
      She's a sheltie and very skittish. We've tried enticing her with treats and holding the flap open. She paws at the bottom of the doggy-door square-opening (between bottom of doggy door flap and the bottom of the actual door) as if she's afraid it will trip her. I know she fits through the door because we've put a leash on her and gently pulled her through to show her how to use it, but it hasn't helped. She doesn't respond to treats or positive encouragement.

How do I get my dog to use the doggy-door to go outside and come back in if she's scared of the door? Other Pet Discussions
    • Hhmmmmmm, try this.This will work only if she is trained to use paper, or to just not leave early presents on your carpet. If she uses paper as her bathroom space, pick up all of it, and wait for her to need to go, Then go outside, and call her. one of two things will happen. 1) she decides that its better to go through the door so she doesn't have to sit there in pain waiting for more paper, or 2) she'll think 'screw this' and let loose on the floor. (my advice always has a downside, im sorry) try it to see if she'll go out the door.

• All she needs is time. You can keep trying to entice her to go through, or you honestly might just push her through once (it's not as cruel as it sounds!). However, if you just leave her around it for several days, sooner or later she'll go to it on her own, get comfortable with it, and try going through.

• Is there a way for you to prop the door open for a while? Generally the fear comes from the swinging door. It startles the dog. If you can use some tape and a string or something and tie the door so that it is open and she can see through it, it may help. Then once she gets used to it, let the door down again.

• We took the plastic flap off for awhile since it was small and in a secluded place in the house..Then when he got used to it not being covered, we covered the door with things like yarn so he would walk through and get used to lighter material.Then heavier, like plastic strips..After that we put the door back on and he didn't notice...Takes about six to eight weeks..

• You can tape up the flap on the door for a day or two until she is comfortable going through the opening. Then slowly lower the flap so she has to touch it. You cannot let her go through the people door with you EVER again. If she responds to firmness, push her through the dog door and give her a command like "Outside". Repitition is the key.

• Hold the door open for her and make sure she can see a treat on the other side. Let her walk through the open door and get the treat a few times. Give her lots of positive feedback. Next, make sure she can see a treat on the other side, then close the door. If she wants that treat badly enough she'll scratch on the door, realize she can push it open, and hopefully make her way through.