How do I get my older female cat to like my younger male cat?

I have an 1 1/2 year female cat and I just took home a two month old male cat, who happens to be her younger brother. She is not too happy about the situation and I have a small apartment. Right now I have them in seperate rooms. He always wants to go…

I have an 1 1/2 year female cat and I just took home a two month old male cat, who happens to be her younger brother. She is not too happy about the situation and I have a small apartment. Right now I have them in seperate rooms. He always wants to go…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my older female cat to like my younger male cat?...

• How do I get my older female cat to like my younger male cat?

How do I get my older female cat to like my younger male cat? Other Pet Discussions
      I have an 1 1/2 year female cat and I just took home a two month old male cat, who happens to be her younger brother. She is not too happy about the situation and I have a small apartment. Right now I have them in seperate rooms. He always wants to go into her room to play. How do I get her to like, or accept, my new kitten?

How do I get my older female cat to like my younger male cat? Other Pet Discussions
    • In my expereince, it can't be done. Cats are very territorial. They don't like "new family members". The only thing you can do is just stand back and let them grow tolerable of each other. Eventually they'll be out in the garage on a cold winter night and they will figure out it's better to cozy up with each other instead of hating each other.

• Ha! That is always a problem but it resolves itself in a short period of time so do not worry about it. To help, here is what I advise people to do.. If you brush your cat... Brush your older cat and then brush the younger cat... hopefully some of the hairs frm the older cat will be on the younger cat. Smell is then transferred. As I said, however, this always happens and does not last long.

• There is a product called Feliway which consists of a synthetic feline hormone, a "feel good" hormone, if you will. It comes in a spray or wall socket plug in. It may only be avail. at the vets but google it. This may help them get along.

• It helps if you kind of ignore the new cat a little bit and lavish lots of attention on the more established one. It feels cruel--to you--when the kitten is so cute and you can't pet him. On the other hand, it sends a message to the older cat that her place in your heart and home is secure. She may even start to feel sorry for the little one. I let a smaller stray cat choose me as his human, and it went very badly at first. The other cats growled at Dusty, each other, and me, and then they ran out the door. They really picked on him for weeks, and I wondered if I had done the right thing by bringing him into this situation.All of my cats tolerate him now, and my younger female is closer to him than anybody. All of them can get out of the house by themselves, but only a couple have the athletic ability to get back in by themselves. This morning, the younger female jumped into my bed and batted my face until I got up and let Dusty in. So, I guess you could say they're ganging up on me.

• OK. Let the baby out of isolation. Leave them be together. They will figure it out. The longer you keep them apart, the longer it will take. When he's ready, have him neutered!!! The older kitty has no idea this is her "brother". Usually won't take more than about a week or so for the older one to get over it and fall madly in love!

• Play together with them,the older cat sees like a competer the younger cat.Than the cats protect their territory see the other cat like an enemy,you should demostrate to the older cat that the other cat is not an anemy.

• Give it time. You can't force them to like each other, but they'll do it on their own. I had a 7 year old male who seemed to HATE our new female at first. After just a week or so, they were playing like old friends. She even perked him up and got him off his lazy behind. He's more playful now than he used to be.