How can you discipline a cat without swatting them?

My cat likes scratching at the bottom of the door to get into a room, thus scratching at the carpet. She also jumps on the kitchen counter. Not good. She recently also has started jumping up onto the blinds. I really have no idea why. Just wondering what…

My cat likes scratching at the bottom of the door to get into a room, thus scratching at the carpet. She also jumps on the kitchen counter. Not good. She recently also has started jumping up onto the blinds. I really have no idea why. Just wondering what…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can you discipline a cat without swatting them?...

• How can you discipline a cat without swatting them?

How can you discipline a cat without swatting them? Other Pet Discussions
      My cat likes scratching at the bottom of the door to get into a room, thus scratching at the carpet. She also jumps on the kitchen counter. Not good. She recently also has started jumping up onto the blinds. I really have no idea why. Just wondering what the heck to do with her.

How can you discipline a cat without swatting them? Other Pet Discussions
    • I use a small spray bottle with plain water in it. Just squirt them when they are into something. Now, all I have to do is just aim, no squirting requited. Works like a charm.

• Be loud - cats don't like fast or loud noises. Shake a can of pennies when cat does something undesirable. Give lots of pets & attention (if kitty wants that) when kitty does good. The reason the cat is jumping on the blinds is out of boredom & exploration. It would be good to get a scratching post & some cat toys from the pet store to keep kitty occupied in a more acceptable way.

• the best think roll a newspaper and just but i slap not to him but beside him and he will understand because they don't like the sound and he will be afraid when he will see the newspaper and not afraid of you but of the journal. I try by myself and it's work with 4 cats in house i don't have a choose but they love me because i don't hit him with my hand.

• Cats are not going to listen when you swat at them. Get your self a squirt gun with water in it. (Don't squirt on real wood) When kitty does something wrong raise your voice just a little, sternly say its name. and squirt it in the area of the head - aim for between the ears. Kitty will get the message quickly to leave the area. Bad behavior will end. Think of a two year old - now think of the evil twin of the 2 yr old....kitty will test you. If you have to chase him its a game. don't chase.For kitchen counters and this is messy for a while. Use double sided tape. Cats hate anything that sticks on thier paws. And cats are repetetive about the way and where they get onto your counters. Put the tape where they land. When done put water on a sponge and soak the tape off, baby oil can be used on reidue, after about a week and half...unless kitty is a hard learner - then just replace tape and use squirt gun too. Replace old kiitty toys that have lost thier attractiveness. Scoop up old catnip toys put into bag with new catnip sprinkled onto them. Tie up bag top and forget about it/ Put onto your calendar to get old toys out in 2 months. Get kitty new toys. When calendar date comes up change out kitty toys old for new and start over. get kitty a cat scratcher flat box for nails. and keep nails clipped.With the squirt gun you will eventually be able to just make the noise and the cat will sit and behave.Good Luck!

• The spray bottle idea is good but just try to be more affectionate and keep reinforcing the right kind of behavior on her.Also check if something like fleas etc,. is bothering her.

• It sounds like she may need more attension from you. Cats are very curious animals and don't like to be left out. Thus, the scratching on the door. Let her in the room to look around and sniff thing out. Pet her and tell her she is a good girl. Luckily she will be satisfied with this and realize not much is going on behind the door and stop the scratching. For her jumping up on the kitchen counter. Squirt her with a squirt gun or a spray bottle. She won't like it at all. Leave the squirt gun on the counter so if she jumps up when you aren't looking she will see it and back off immediately! Ah, the jumping on the blind problem. Been there, done that. Use the squirt bottle technique it will work!Good Luck,Eagleman

• Squirting with water is good but if she has just started being naughty she might have her nose out of joint about something. Try and work it out what her problem is. IE. Did you move her favourite chair out of the sun? Good Luck

• Get a spray bottle with water and spray her when she is being bad. Use a forceful "NO" when you are doing it.Also, buy some tin foil and put it where the cat jumps on the counter ~ Cats don't like the feel of tin foil on their paws and she will stop doing it ~ if you can tape tin foil around the bottom of the doors where you don't want her clawing ~ it is like finger nails on a chalkboard for them.Good luck ~ just be consistant and she will learn she is not suppose to do these things.