Any idea how to get rid of ticks and fleas?

I just got her and she is only 7 weeks old, so I can't give her a bath b/c they have to be over 12 weeks for that. I can see them crawling on her everywhere.

I just got her and she is only 7 weeks old, so I can't give her a bath b/c they have to be over 12 weeks for that. I can see them crawling on her everywhere....
    Other Pet Discussions : Any idea how to get rid of ticks and fleas?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any idea how to get rid of ticks and fleas?

Any idea how to get rid of ticks and fleas? Other Pet Discussions
      I just got her and she is only 7 weeks old, so I can't give her a bath b/c they have to be over 12 weeks for that. I can see them crawling on her everywhere.

Any idea how to get rid of ticks and fleas? Other Pet Discussions
    • Firstly, ticks don't crawl, they just cling on and suck blood, if your cat has any, it's best to pull them out, but be careful, because it's easy to leave the most poisonous bit often can be left behind.Also, your vet should sell flea solutions for kittens, that are spot on things, and deal with worms as well, some brands are Revolution or Advantage.

• try garlic, if your kitten won't eat food with it added try a garlic pill, maybe not a full one. You can also get brushes like the battery lice ones for pets, which should be safe.

• You can go to the store and buy some DIAZINON made of pecan shells kind not the powder. Spread it all around your yard and especially around the tree trunks because thats where ticks home themselves waiting to be born to go suck on your pets. Make sure you get the PECAN SHELL kind. It will last for YEARS with only one application. Best applied after a good RAIN.

• You can bathe a 7-week-old kitten. I've bathed countless kittens that age, and I've bathed a 2-week-old kitten with no problem whatsoever. Just make sure you keep the kitten warm until it's dry.Avoid using any kind of flea poison without a vet's recommendation. Plain shampoo works just fine because you're trying to drown the fleas/wash them off. I was told by a cat rescuer friend to use Head & Shoulders because it seems to stun the fleas. During the bath, if you can see fleas crawling on the kitten, see if you can get them off with a flea comb or pair of tweezers.Be sure to thoroughly vacuum/wash the kitten's bedding. Bathing the kitten will do you no good if the kitten's living area is infested with fleas as well.

• you will have to do what i did, i went and bought a plastic tweasers and one by one they were gone that was the only way i could do it till mine was older, and just put them in hot soapy water that will kill them

• For Kittens: use topical treatment from vet and follow these instructions. Put the poison carefully into a measuring spoon, then dip the side of a plastic spoon into the poison and touch it to their fur between their shoulders. You are using a minimal amount of poison and it will kill the fleas while still being safe for the babies. I have used this in foster kitten care many times and never had an issue. Not even with mom who may still be licking them clean.Any of the topical flea treatments from your vet should work and I’ve heard the Revolution pill works very well but haven’t tried it. Do not buy the "over the counter" flea treatments - such as in the pet section of Walmart or the grocery store for instance, as they do not work and may be more dangerous for your cat. Flea collars do not work. A very good source for the good treatments such as Frontline, Advantage, Revolution, and Advocate is Ebay. I've found it to be much cheaper than the vet. A note about flea tolerance to poison....people are noticing that American fleas are becoming tolerant to Frontline. Advantage brand, however, uses a poison that was unknown in America 10 years ago. Therefore, if you notice live fleas after one treatment of Frontline, switch to Advantage. Advantage is also cheaper than Frontline.Vacuuming will help get up the eggs and larvae, but I've found since the treatments work on the host animal for a month, there is not much need to treat other areas. Just be sure to use every month of flea season. The fleas burrow into the host fur and are poisoned immediately. there is no escape! mwah ha ha

• Go to the vet or to a dog store and buy some Frontline Plus, Advantage or Revolution to give ur cat and the bugs will stay away and u could even buy a flee collar. This products will last a month or so.

• You can buy treatments at wal-mart or any super store. They have sprays, washes and all different things. Most of the time you have to do the treatments over and over. After you treat it make sure you get a flea collar and bomb your entire house.