How many lessons does it take before I will start to canter?

I have already learned how to trot.

I have already learned how to trot....
    Other Pet Discussions : How many lessons does it take before I will start to canter?...

• How many lessons does it take before I will start to canter?

How many lessons does it take before I will start to canter? Other Pet Discussions
      I have already learned how to trot.

How many lessons does it take before I will start to canter? Other Pet Discussions
    • Could be one, could be 100. It all depends on you. You should learn to canter once you are very comfortable with both the posting and sitting trot. You need to be secure in your seat at the sitting trot because a canter is a much bigger step and can bounce you right off if you don't have a good seat.

• It depends on you and your trainer. Some trainers let their students canter earlier that others, and some hold them back until they are really ready. When you can confidently trot (off the lounge line, and steer) then she should let you canterGood Luck :)

• I think the key problem with cantering is can you slow the horse down and can you stop the horse without any problem. That is when trotting is it easy for you to take the horse back down to a walk? And can you do an emergency stop on a horse?If you answer yes to both questions, then you are ready to start cantering in my opinion. I actually find the canter easier, smoother, and more enjoyable than trotting. I think the main obstacle is psychological. You will be going a lot faster so it might make you a little nervous the first couple of times.I didn't rely on some trainer telling me when it was OK to canter. I did take riding lessons but cantered the first time on my own when I thought I was ready. Just like I explained above, I just made sure that I was able to bump a horse down to a slower speed, so that when I got uncomfortable I was able to maintain a sense of control.Davidhttp://gentlenaturalhorseman.blogspot.com/

• That is hard to answer, because every trainer is different. For some it takes 1 month and others it takes 1 year. With my trainer, I learned to canter within 5 or 6 months. You may have to prove to your trainer that you are ready, by mastering the trot and working very hard at it. Besides, cantering is not as pleasurable at times because of how much more effort you have to put into it by picking up leads and eventually flying lead changes. If you are not satisfied, and you truly think you are ready, talk to your trainer.

• It takes a while but is all worth it ! it really just depends on YOU! good luck! PS Ask your trainer/Instructor when cantering is a good idea! and just think if you do english you have to tackle jumps next! Or if you do Western You have turning on the forehand & such& dressage oh boy! shoulder ins and much more