What is the best way to teach a new puppy to walk on a leash?

I bought a new Boxer puppy yesterday, he's about 13 wks. It is a pain to get him on a leash. He is paper trained but, i'd prefer that he uses the bathroom outside. Whenever i put him on the leash he refuses to walk, I almost have to drag him around. I…

I bought a new Boxer puppy yesterday, he's about 13 wks. It is a pain to get him on a leash. He is paper trained but, i'd prefer that he uses the bathroom outside. Whenever i put him on the leash he refuses to walk, I almost have to drag him around. I…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best way to teach a new puppy to walk on a leash?...

• What is the best way to teach a new puppy to walk on a leash?

What is the best way to teach a new puppy to walk on a leash? Other Pet Discussions
      I bought a new Boxer puppy yesterday, he's about 13 wks. It is a pain to get him on a leash. He is paper trained but, i'd prefer that he uses the bathroom outside. Whenever i put him on the leash he refuses to walk, I almost have to drag him around. I need help.

What is the best way to teach a new puppy to walk on a leash? Other Pet Discussions
    • walk with him every day, speaking firmly when he walks out and friendly when he walks nice. If he doesn't walk nice after a while you can try to stop walking when he pulls and walk when leash is loose. Train him with a nice voice to come sit by your left side when you stop. Give him something when he acts the way you want him to. Make sure he knows you're in the lead. You decide. He never sits in the sofa i.g. Good luck, and remember; train everyday.

• What we tell our clients (I work at an animal Hospital) is to put the leash on your puppy while you are inside and when you can keep an eye on him. If he is allowed to rest and play inside with the leash he will get use to it faster.Do not leave him alone with it on (choking hazard if he gets it stuck on something) Once he is use to it though only use it when you go outside and he will start to associate it with walks, and dogs love walks.

• you just need to be patient boxers are very stubborn dogs. Every day take your puppy for a walk on a quiet street. Alot of boxers get nervous around cars when they first get to their new homes. If you have an enclosed back yard let him go out without a leash. Also i have found if you put the leash on your dog in the house for about 15 minutes they get used to the weight and the feel.

• use treats and prais him well wen he does walk with out being told. gradually stop the treats and take him some where new everyday like a new direction or down a new path/road. ....so he's not bored with it

• First of all stop dragging the little guy around, that's just going to make for a bad experience! Try keeping a leash on him all the time till he gets use to it, then use treats (my German Shepherd likes cheese or Cheerios) to persuade him to walk at your side. Use a high voice to praise when he does what you want, and use a low slow voice whe he does not. Take small steps and only reward when it is what you want.Only train for about 10 min at a time the have a short attention span just like kids. I taught my Shepherd to go to the bathroom in a certain spot outside by every 1/2 hour taking her out to that spot to go potty, reward when she went and did that for about 2 months till she got it and went out there by herself then came back. Go to your library they will have dog training books. Just have a lot of patients and take it in small steps and he will get it.Good luck, and stop draggin that pup around -K-!!

• Start by putting the collar on as soon as you get your pup. He may scratch at it and otherwise not be happy, but he will get used to it in very short order. The leash training will take a little more time. Start by putting on the collar and attaching the leash. Do nothing with the leash, let your pup get used to the fact he has something new attached. After a few minutes, pick up the leash and call your puppy to you - do not pull him. The point here is that the collar and leash should be pleasurable things. Next, walk away from your pup while holding his leash loosely. The response you hope for is that your pup will walk along with you. If he does, praise him - your pup wants to please you and praise will be the key to all trainingLeash Training Do's-Use a body harness and train your puppy to accept it the same way you teach puppy to accept a collar. Check here if your pup is frightened or leery of the collar/harness or leash. -Use lures and praise to keep puppy at your side. -Keep the leash loose at all times. If you see your puppy starting to forge ahead, abruptly reverse directions so that puppy finds himself suddenly behind or beside you instead of forging in front of you. Don't wait until the puppy is clear at the other end of the leash, pulling ahead before you take action. The leash should always remain loose except for that one split second it takes when you're reversing direction. Do not drag your puppy back to your side. Use a quick tug, then immediately release so the leash is slack again. If it doesn't all happen in 3/10ths of a second, it's taking too long and your puppy will not learn to walk nicely on leash. Put another way: Instead of correcting your dog after he is already pulling, do not give him the opportunity to pull. If he never pulls, he will never learn to pull. You must correct him BEFORE he pulls! -Practice now before your pup learns to pull. Since your pup is unable to walk the streets yet, begin teaching him to walk around your house and yard. He should be taught not to pull before hitting the streets. Leash Training Don'ts-Do not let your puppy pull you around. -If you cannot correct the puppy in time, do not reward his pulling by letting him continue on his way. Better to slowly just turn around and go the other way, or stop in your tracks and say, "We are not going one inch further until you stop pulling." Then wait, it may take 30 seconds; it may take 20 minutes. Do not move until your puppy is in control. Now you can start over and give the correction before he starts pulling again. If again you are too late in your correction, start again. -Do not yank and pull on your puppy's throat and neck. Use a soft, adjustable, non- restrictive harness. As soon as your pup learns leash manners, you can switch to a regular collar for walking. Do not leave the harness on your dog unattended. Use it only while you are practicing.