At what age should I start giving my dog only one meal a day?

Currently my dog is around 8 months. She's a German Shepherd. Also, about how many cups should I give her daily when I start to feed her only once daily?

Currently my dog is around 8 months. She's a German Shepherd. Also, about how many cups should I give her daily when I start to feed her only once daily?...
    Other Pet Discussions : At what age should I start giving my dog only one meal a day?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• At what age should I start giving my dog only one meal a day?

At what age should I start giving my dog only one meal a day? Other Pet Discussions
      Currently my dog is around 8 months. She's a German Shepherd. Also, about how many cups should I give her daily when I start to feed her only once daily?

At what age should I start giving my dog only one meal a day? Other Pet Discussions
    • Personally, I feed my dog twice a day, once in the morning and at dinner time, about one and a half cups of dry food with a little bit of wet food and about an inch of water, but that's just me.

• alot of people feed their dogs once a day. vets usually recommend about 15 months or so...but i still divide my pets food into twice a day to ensure they arent so hungry later. and to let them better digest their food.

• never. you should feed your dog at least twice a day or the dog wont have energy through out the day and when he does get fed he will scarf the food down too quickly possibly making him sick or even more tired. also each time a dog eats he or she should be let out within 30 minuts later cuz after eating they need to go take a crap to keeps their system moving.

• Large breed dogs should be fed two meals daily. It helps to prevent bloat and they have betterenergy through out the day. You wouldn't want to eat one meal a day would you????It is just better for your dog. Especially GSD. They tend to be skinny. It is hard to keep weight on a dog that eats once a day.

• WELL MY FRIEND IN THE DOG WORLD YOU HAVE WHATS CALLED EASY KEEPERS AND HARD KEEPERS, THE EASY KEEPERS ARE THE DOGS THAT GO FOR ABOUT 2 DAYS ON A COFFEE CAN OF DOG FOOD, THATS THE CASE WITH MY MALE COON HOUND BRUTUS, AND YOU HAVE YOUR HARD KEEPERS THESE ARE THE DOGS THAT NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU FEED, NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WORM, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO THEY STILL LOOK LIKE YOU DON'T FEED THEM ANYWHERE NEAR ENOUGH, AS FAR AS SETTING AN AGE, IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE MOTABOLISM, IF YOUR DOG LOOKS HEALTHY, AND DOESN'T LOOK MALNURISHED OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT I WOULD JUST KEEP GOING THE WAY YOU ARE, EVERY DOG, LIKE EVERY HUMAN IS DIFFERENT, SOME PEOPLE CAN EAT TONS AND NEVER GAIN AN OUNCE, OTHERS EAT ONE FRIE AND BLOW UP LIKE A BALLOON. ONE WAY TO KNOW THAT YOUR DOG IS AT ITS PRIME WEIGHT IS IF WHEN YOU LOOK AT ITS CHEST YOU SEE SMALL GENTLY ROLLING RIBS, RATHER THAN DEEP CREVISES BETWEEN THE RIBS, ALSO IF YOU DON'T SEE ANY RIBS YOUR DOG NEEDS EXCERCISE, HOPE THIS HELPS OUT, NEED ANY MORE HELP FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME.

• I have been raising and training dogs my whole life. mostly pitbulls. they are still puppies up until 2 years of age. thats when they are fully grown. when they are puppies they need all the protien and crude fats that they can get to help them grow and mature into healthy adults. therefore as pups they need to have constant access to fresh food and water. a pups attention span isnt what it will be as an adult..they may not realize they are hungry or need to eat because they are preoccupied by something else. so they need to be able to eat when they feel the urge

• It used to be when the dog reached 6 months to a year of age you could start feeding them once a day. Modern thought has switched it to two feedings a day at 12 months. It has something to do with the way wolves eat in the wild. Some dogs do better on free range feeding - you offer their daily allowment of food in a bowl and they come and go as they please.Regarding amount - it usually says how much on the side of the bag. For a 10 pound dog it's 1 3/4 cups a day.

• never because dogs should stay healthy & the more ur dog is healthy the more they live.but still if u wan 2 give her 1 meal per day then u can give her when she reaches atleast 1 year.good luck!!!!!!

• I am currently taking an animal nutrition course at vet school. I am not sure about the once a day feeding but as far as how much you should feed.... You should check the recommendations on the label and go off of that at first. Calories and size of kibble are variable between brands so you can't really say a definite amount without knowing the brand. Some companies recommend a bit more than dogs need so adjust based on her weight. Ideally, you should be able to feel her ribs (not through a fat layer but easily feel them but not be able to see them, they shouldn't protrude) and she should have a slight waist behind her rib cage. I will say this though. Your GS puppy should be on a large breed puppy food until she is one year of age. This is very important so that she does not grow too quickly. This will ensure that her bones develop properly and she will reach her full size potential. It has been shown to reduce hip dysplasia. I would highly recommend it. I would keep her on twice a day feeding until she has stopped growing (at one year of age).

• I have had plenty of dogs, big and small. I have never fed them once daily. They eat and drink when they want to, and let me know when they want to or need to go outside. Check with a vet on your dogs weight if it becomes a serious issue.

• u have a german shepard that is a pretty good size dog. i fed my dog once a day but he always seemed hungry when i did feed him and i had a rottie and he got a ice bucket ful a day so i started to feed him twice a day then he just ate in the morning them not much in the evening. now with our new dog.(my other one is in doggie heaven now) i use a self feeder so when she is hungry she eats. it kinda gives them their indendpence u know. believe they wont eat it all they stop when they done and go back when they need too. but to feed her once a day is like feedin yourself once a day. sorry but they need to eat to i think. just go with what your vet thinks or try the self feeder. u will be surprised.

• my dog eats dry food and his bowl is always kept full,he just nibbles when it suits him.my vet says he's a healthy weight.because he knows the food is always there he doesn't over eat or get greedy