What's the best way to curb territorial aggressiveness in my Abyssinian female?

We got another kitten a few weeks back and my older Aby won't tolerate her for nothing. She's always been a little aggressive, seemingly very irritable and she constantly "beats up" on the other kitties but this is a lot more serious. She runs directly…

We got another kitten a few weeks back and my older Aby won't tolerate her for nothing. She's always been a little aggressive, seemingly very irritable and she constantly "beats up" on the other kitties but this is a lot more serious. She runs directly…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What's the best way to curb territorial aggressiveness in my Abyssinian female?...

• What's the best way to curb territorial aggressiveness in my Abyssinian female?

What's the best way to curb territorial aggressiveness in my Abyssinian female? Other Pet Discussions
      We got another kitten a few weeks back and my older Aby won't tolerate her for nothing. She's always been a little aggressive, seemingly very irritable and she constantly "beats up" on the other kitties but this is a lot more serious. She runs directly at her with no warning and we're so scared of her wanting to do some serious damage that we've kept them separated all this time now. It's been weeks. I've even tried putting her on antianxiety meds and since she can't even tolerate that it didn't work. We're at a loss. We've read on how to introduce them slowly, we did that. We need help.

What's the best way to curb territorial aggressiveness in my Abyssinian female? Other Pet Discussions
    • Has your kitten been spayed/neutered yet?? Have either cats been spaid or neutered yet?? Are any other cats spayed/neutered in your household?? Is there anything that the old cat would want to protect? a favourite resting spot? A toy? Anything can be valuble to a cat. Here are just some questions to ask youre self.

• first and foremost, has your beautiful Abyssinian been desexed yet? That could be an aggravator in territorial behaviour. Another major factor is......cats are naturally territorial animals. Unlike dogs, cats live best solidarily. You've done the absolute right thing is trying to introduce the newcomer and your Aby slowly. Try giving youy older Aby more affection, rewarding non-attacking behaviour with kitty treats to establish proper behaviour. You've mentioned anti-anxiety meds don't work, but have you tried this behavioural training in conjunction? Also, in the meantime, try putting the new kitty in a room (NOT a cage!) with the door closed for the time being, if just to keep it safe from the older Aby. At the times when your older Aby is at her calmest (you'll know when it is since she's been with you for a while now), try getting the young one out, placing her in a cage big enough for her to run around and hide if she feels threatened, place the cage a metre of so from your older Aby, and leave. Allow them to interact and communicate, getting to accustom themselves to each other in their own time. Keep in mind that there'll always be a hierarchical structure between them. And because they haven't been together since young, you need to accept that any bond that forms may never be that of buddies, but simply tolerance. But also know that with acceptance, the older one will begin perceiving the babe as a member of the family, and begin to watch out for her, and will protect her should the need arise.I've got a cat myself, and I realise cats don't like medications. What I did was to crush the pills, add it in a lil' bit of yoghurt, and give it to him to lick it off at his own time.....not pushing it down his throat. you need to establish what kind of food or flavours your Aby favours. That would make taking her meds easier for you too if you don't have to struggle with her....which incidentally would only serve to increase her already heightened level of anxiety, as she would feel she can't trust you, a very important factor at this stressful time for her.When you find she draws near the cage to take a sniff or to explore, give her a treat, a cuddle, or lots of praise. When you finally come back to find her sitting beside the cage, you can open the cage door to let the lil' one out. Remember to always show a lil' bit more preferance to the older Aby during this initial part, adorable as the lil' one may be. The older gal will appreciate you for it in the long run.Good luck!

• I had 3 cats and found a stray kitten which I took in and she was hurt but very cute and friendly. My other 3 didnt really like her but I introduced them veryyyyy slowly and they would hiss and cry at each other oh yes and growl. But,eventually they did get along and do to this day with of course a little fighting every now and then. I would hold the kitten and then pick up one of the other 3 and pet them together even while they hissed and growled at each other even if only for a few seconds. Then we would separate them again. eventually we would let them all loose together and after a few scraps they all got laong together. Another thing to try is to offer a TREAT to all the cats together,which we did. My oldest cat still goes after the kitten but its mostly a play thing. Most cats will still fight a bit because they are very territorial but hopefully yours will start to get along together. Keep trying to introduce them it may take a long time. Some cats just will not get along!! I have all females and they are all fixed except the new kitten well not kitten anymore but she is a little "runt" of the litter I guess. Good luck