What can i do to make my Cockatiel stop biting me?

I have recently purchased 3 Cockatiels. One yellow and two greys, (the greys are siblings). The yellow one is fine and perches on my finger, but the two greys hiss a me when i get close. I have tried to spend lots of time with them and it helped a…

I have recently purchased 3 Cockatiels. One yellow and two greys, (the greys are siblings). The yellow one is fine and perches on my finger, but the two greys hiss a me when i get close. I have tried to spend lots of time with them and it helped a…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What can i do to make my Cockatiel stop biting me?...

• What can i do to make my Cockatiel stop biting me?

What can i do to make my Cockatiel stop biting me? Other Pet Discussions
      I have recently purchased 3 Cockatiels. One yellow and two greys, (the greys are siblings). The yellow one is fine and perches on my finger, but the two greys hiss a me when i get close. I have tried to spend lots of time with them and it helped a little. Is there anything i can do to make them trust me?When they bite, its very soft, not drawing blood. Its more of a tiny pricking that doesnt make me bleed.For the record, my cockatiels dont live in a cage and they dont have clipped wings. They are free to fly around. They always fly back to there little house that my dad made :D. They have plenty of room to fly around and they live OUTSIDE a cage, they only go in the cage to sleep during the night :D

What can i do to make my Cockatiel stop biting me? Other Pet Discussions
    • ok my husband got our 3 to stop that biting stuff. he put on a heavy glove and held the bird. every time it bit he would drop his hand quickly, blow in its face and say NO very sternly. It took some t ime, but they stopped the biting. (its called an earthquake by the way and he learned about it online when he looked up cockatiels)

• You kind of already answered your question with an obvious - time. It takes time for trust, and time is what you need. When I had a cockatiel I got mine to talk as well...with time. Best wishes =)

• If your tiels bite and not draw blood you may be able to stop this.Put a heavy towel on your chest and pick up one and put it against the towel. Walk into another room and hold it to you. Cover its head with your other hand when it starts to peck you and he will stop. Than lift your hand and talk low and calm untill it nips at you again. Than cover it again for a minute. The strange room will make him look for a hiding place and your voice and wormth of your body and heart beat will settle him down and your other hand covers him to feel secureThis will take several attempts untill he realizes you will not hurt him and he will learn you are not an enemy

• If they aren't biting hard, it is more out of affection or curiosity. The only time you worry is if they are breaking the skin. Just handle them more and work with them. :0) Cockatiels are wonderful little birds and they can be quite comical

• It sounds like your new friends are just testing you for "stability". When you ask a bird to "step up", most of them will gently nip your finger to make sure you are a stable perch. If they start drawing blood, then it is for other reasons. Time and patience is what you need with tiels. They will learn to trust you.

• My opinion. Dominance. Since the birds are free to fly, like that of a wild bird, they dont see you as boss.If you notice the bird at the top is the boss, further down the branches, less control. Try not letting them get above your control level: thus the finger perch.stroke the back of its head birds like thatand also if its real gentle it could be a simple way of a bird saying i love you owner.good luck.