How can I teach my dog some really fun tricks?

My 3-4 year old Doberman/Choco Lab just doesn't understand training. She barely sits or lies down on command. She is really sweet and willing to please, but I just don't know how I would teach her some basic commands and fun ones. She also loves treats!

My 3-4 year old Doberman/Choco Lab just doesn't understand training. She barely sits or lies down on command. She is really sweet and willing to please, but I just don't know how I would teach her some basic commands and fun ones. She also loves treats!...
    Off Topic : How can I teach my dog some really fun tricks?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How can I teach my dog some really fun tricks?

How can I teach my dog some really fun tricks? Off Topic
      My 3-4 year old Doberman/Choco Lab just doesn't understand training. She barely sits or lies down on command. She is really sweet and willing to please, but I just don't know how I would teach her some basic commands and fun ones. She also loves treats!

How can I teach my dog some really fun tricks? Off Topic
    • Adult dogs are often even easier to train than pups, simply because they have the ability to focus for a longer period of time. Most adapt fairly quickly to new routines, so housebreaking is not difficult if you are consistent in taking the pet out to the same place every time to go potty. An adult dog has more control and normally does not have to go outside as often as a pup.http://dogtime.com/training-adult-senior-dogs-aaha.html

• my dog knows over 30 tricks besides the basic, (i'm a good trainer)try this site and tell me if it doesn't work.http://www.angelfire.com/on2/dogtricks/home.html

• The big thing is being consistent and making it as fun as possible. Keep the "play" (training) in short bursts... 5-10 minutes at a time 2-3 times a day and follow through. Bribing with food is a great idea, so is a favorite toy.When I started training my dog to do tricks I bought some books on dog training. One of my favorites is Dog Training for Dummies. It took me through the basic things a dog needs to know, like sit, walk on a leash, coming when called, etc.One of the problems I ran across was my husband, actually. He wanted to help in the training, but he would do two things that undermined the training. He would give my dog treats for "being cute" which showed her that she didn't have to sit, stay, etc. to get the treat. I got him to stop doing that one. The next problem that cropped up was he would get annoyed with her because she didn't always understand what I was training her right away. What I mean is, it takes a little while to train a dog to shake hands (for example) and it's hard to go through the routine over and over until she got it. It took patience, which he finally learned.Dog training classes are always a fun option too. Check out your local animal shelter, pet store, or veterinarian. They can probably recommend someone in the area. They have classes for older dogs, plus it gives her some fun time to socialize with other dogs and people. My dog loved going to "school!"