At what age do you start weaning kittens?

I am a first time cat owner. My cat was pregnant when I got her. She had kittens 3 weeks ago Sunday. At what age should I start weaning them? And I could use some advise on how to do it.Thank You all ahead of time.

I am a first time cat owner. My cat was pregnant when I got her. She had kittens 3 weeks ago Sunday. At what age should I start weaning them? And I could use some advise on how to do it.Thank You all ahead of time....
    Other Pet Discussions : At what age do you start weaning kittens?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• At what age do you start weaning kittens?

At what age do you start weaning kittens? Other Pet Discussions
      I am a first time cat owner. My cat was pregnant when I got her. She had kittens 3 weeks ago Sunday. At what age should I start weaning them? And I could use some advise on how to do it.Thank You all ahead of time.

At what age do you start weaning kittens? Other Pet Discussions
    • About 4 weeks after birth, the mother cat normally begins to evade the kittens and discourages nursing. At this time, the kittens also naturally begin to show a decline in the length of time they nurse. More of their time is spent exploring their new world.At this point, it is time to start offering food for the kittens to sample. Even if the kittens are being orphan raised, begin offering food around 3 to 6 weeks of age, when the kittens weigh over 500 grams. At this point, increased gentle human handling can improve the kittens’ physical and social development, and make them more accepting of people.

• It is ALWAYS 6 weeks. The mother will actually start this on her own. DO NOT FORCE IT. I worked for a vet for years, and I am here to tell you, if you force it, you can actually cause the kittens to become sick, and insecure.