What is the best dog breed for kids and protection in a warm (tropical) wheather?

We live in Costa Rica (it rains a lot, +70F most of the time). We are looking for a dog for kids company (our kids are 12 and 6) and to protect our property, we have a big backyard.

What is the best dog breed for kids and protection in a warm (tropical) wheather?

We live in Costa Rica (it rains a lot, +70F most of the time). We are looking for a dog for kids company (our kids are 12 and 6) and to protect our property, we have a big backyard....
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best dog breed for kids and protection in a warm (tropical) wheather?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What is the best dog breed for kids and protection in a warm (tropical) wheather?

What is the best dog breed for kids and protection in a warm (tropical) wheather? Other Pet Discussions
      We live in Costa Rica (it rains a lot, +70F most of the time). We are looking for a dog for kids company (our kids are 12 and 6) and to protect our property, we have a big backyard.

What is the best dog breed for kids and protection in a warm (tropical) wheather? Other Pet Discussions
    • German Sheperd, Rottwiler or dobermen they are good dogs and love kids as long as the kids are nice to them and they are trained right, golden retriver, blue heeler,

• Doberman They have a light coat, and the females are great with kids.They bond to you real well, in-fact they would die to protect you.I have never seen a more loyal breed in my life.Regardless of stereo type, they are all around great dogs.The down fall they tend to be too protective, including not letting friends on the property unless your right there.

• If I were you I'd check the local dog pound or see if someone is giving away puppies. Often a good dog will just turn up and some of the best dogs I have ever seen are just mutts. I think it has a lot to do with the way you raise them too. If you get a puppy it will be used to your children by the time it gets bigger. You will want to invest in a set of clippers as well so that your dog doesn't get overheated in the warmer climate. As always, make sure your new pet has it's shots.

• To be completely honest with you, ANY dog that you bring into your home that you treat with respect, give love to, and make it one of the family will ALWAYS protect you. Dogs just have that sixth sense. Please don't expect to bring a dog into your home and have him automatically know who/what to protect. You have to bond with them first and trust me and trust the dog, it'll keep you safe. Make sure it Always sleeps inside and is treated like one of the family.

• We live in Sri Lanka,very tropical, sounds a lot like CR. We have a brindle boxer - ugly but really sweet, especially with the kids. She is an excellent guard dog with a mean bark but not much bite. She loves to run. She thinks she is one of my kids.....and she really is. Would definitley recommend a female boxer. Males tend to be exceptionally strong, a little difficult to handle. Good luck with World cup too.!

• Yellow Labrador Retriever - They are great with kids and will be safe for your kids friends, they are good watchdogs but not vicious and the short hair and yellow color makes them good at tolerating the heat.Of course, if the dog is going to be outside for any length of time - he's going to need shade and a large supply of fresh water in a bowl that can't be spilled over. And protection from insects like flies and ants.