How do you know when to let the family pet go?

He's 14 years old. He has lost lots of weight, can't hold himself up.I believe he had a stroke, seems to be disoriented at times. I don't believe he is in pain. He has some incontinence.

How do you know when to let the family pet go?

He's 14 years old. He has lost lots of weight, can't hold himself up.I believe he had a stroke, seems to be disoriented at times. I don't believe he is in pain. He has some incontinence....
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you know when to let the family pet go?...

• im sorry to hear about your baby but it sounds like it is time. 14 years of companionship is a good long time. one rule with my animals that i have always gone by is that when thier quality of life has faded and they are no longer enjoying what they used to it is time for us to make the sacrafice and let them go home. they were never selfish when it came to our need and we should not be when it comes to thiers ....... he knows you love him and depends on you for his happiness even when it is your sadness.

• I had a min lab mix, she lived a long loving life. I put myself in her place, I wouldn't want to suffer every day of whats left of my life, why put your best friend thru that. It's time to let her go, I will always remeber her, and so will you with your animal, we buried her in our back-yard and put up a monument, just like at any grave site. animals are your best friends.

• I am sorry to hear your pet is sick. If he has been sick for a while, I would consider what is making him sick. Maybe you could change his food. I realise that having your family pet put to sleep would be a very difficult decision, so don't rush into it and see what other family members think.

• He sounds old and tired. We tend to keep them around for our benefit, not theirs. Let the poor thing have his rest. He has done his job of being a good family pet.

• It sounds like he is suffering, and probably in pain dogs are good at hiding pain.. i know it will be hard (i have 4 dogs of my own) but it does sound like it is time spend a whole day with him take pictures and just take time out to remeber him before. Good luck.

• Take your beloved pet to a vet for assisstance in deciding what action to take.He isn't a pup anymore and deserves to go in dignity. I know it's hard to see him like this but it is better to find out for sure if there is any help for him to live out his remaining years as painfree as possible. Good luck in finding the answer to a really heart felt question.

• You have answered your own question! now the real question is are you ready to let the dog go? Sounds like not since you have watched him go thru this. 14 is a long time but never long enough when you have that bond with your animal!!!!!! It is your love for this animal that will allow you to put your animal to sleep! It is for the better...It sounds like he is suffering which means his QUALITY of life is greatly hampered. Make the call and be there by his side when it's time. And remember the good times. It's okay to cry and be sad....