What is the best fence to use with a horse?

I am doing this project and in it i need to select a type of fence i should put my horse in, it should be one with little disadvantages. Thanks-In need of a fence

I am doing this project and in it i need to select a type of fence i should put my horse in, it should be one with little disadvantages. Thanks-In need of a fence...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best fence to use with a horse?...

• What is the best fence to use with a horse?

What is the best fence to use with a horse? Other Pet Discussions
      I am doing this project and in it i need to select a type of fence i should put my horse in, it should be one with little disadvantages. Thanks-In need of a fence

What is the best fence to use with a horse? Other Pet Discussions
    • Growing up our neighbors had several horses. They had a "low" grade electric fence which consisted of one wire attached to the eight foot fence. It was attached at the average chest height of the horses. The colts learned quickly with their noses and the adults already had the picture. The strength of the electricity was minor (did not kill us as kids) but enough to be an unpleasant experience. Hence, they avoided the fence. So did we!

• ElectroBraid (I'm not sure that I spelled that correctly). It's the most amazing stuff! It's inexpensive to buy, easy to put up, and extremely easy to repair and maintain. The horses will only test the fence once, they will get a shock that is not high enough to harm them but still strong enough to send them an instant message.

• If you have to use an electric fence the Electrobraid is the best idea. High tensile electric wire other than that stuff is thin and can cause horrible damage if a horse gets caught in it. Takes the skin right off the legs (also known as a debriding injury). Horse fence, the kind with the little squares is better but a horse can get a foot stuck, or a part of a shoe stuck. If the foot gets stuck, it's a painful injury. If the shoe catches, your fence is down and the shoe is yanked off. Then, you're out $$ for a new fence and the farrier).Wood fences can be crashed through easily, but mostly chewed on, and then it's pretty ugly. Not to mention splinters everywhere. It's also prone to rotting, etc. Not the best choice, in terms of longevity.Vinly rail fences are fairly accident-free but not especially sturdy, adn pretty expensive.Barbed wire is an alternative to electric. Both require little maintenence (the electric requires, more). However, the barbs on the wire keep it from debriding like the high tensile electric. Yes, your horse can get little nicks and scratches from leaning on it, so that's not an option if you show. I've seen some pretty gruesome fence injuries and will NEVER have high tensile electric EVER. It slides through flesh like a one of those cheese cutter gadgets. Barbs hook ... they don't keep ripping off meat.So, weigh your needs and pick a fence... remember that NOTHING is totally without pros AND cons...

• If money is no object, I'd go with vinyl or pipe. But since it is, we have our pasture fenced in electric wire. Horses can sense when electric fences are live and don't usually need to "test" them.