How do I get my cat to stop using the bathroom all over my house?

We make sure to keep the litter box very clean because we thought maybe she was just being picky, but she still pees in odd places. Usually she chooses a pile of clothes or something like that. Any tips? It's getting really old, really fast. Plus it…

We make sure to keep the litter box very clean because we thought maybe she was just being picky, but she still pees in odd places. Usually she chooses a pile of clothes or something like that. Any tips? It's getting really old, really fast. Plus it…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my cat to stop using the bathroom all over my house?...

• How do I get my cat to stop using the bathroom all over my house?

How do I get my cat to stop using the bathroom all over my house? Other Pet Discussions
      We make sure to keep the litter box very clean because we thought maybe she was just being picky, but she still pees in odd places. Usually she chooses a pile of clothes or something like that. Any tips? It's getting really old, really fast. Plus it stinks!Thank you all very much! She is a little older (8), plus we did just move to a new state a few months ago. I guess she's just stressed. I'm going to take her to the vet again though, to make sure it's not a serious health issue. I recently took a new job so I'll be able to be home more often as well, so hopefully that will help.

How do I get my cat to stop using the bathroom all over my house? Other Pet Discussions
    • That's how cats are, you give them an inch they'll take a mile. Cats are known to be 'queens' or 'kings' of the house. They can do whatever they want, whenever they want, you don't like it... tough noogies. So I say get rid of it. I'm guessing it is really hard to train them because all of the people I know that have cats, have a hard time doing so. Here's a page a found for you, it might work... but since your cat doesn't like the litter box.. it probably will not. http://www.karawynn.net/mishacat/toilet.html

• This is a hard one. Is the cat getting old? How long has this been going on? sometimes it's a sign of stress. Have you added a new pet, moved, or? Keeping the box clean and with enough litter (the kind of litter she's used to) is important. Also, you nee to make sure there is no scent of cat pee in the apartment (rugs, etc.) Cat urine smell is very hard to get out. Get a special product made for this purpose. don't leave clothes, etc. around. Give your cat lots of love and attention too.

• Medical, Stress, Litter Box, ProductsUrine Marking is the kitty trying to tell you something. Male and female cats may mark -- even neutered and spayed cats. Marking is done with a cat in a squatting position, causing small amount of urine to squirt onto a horizontal surface. They are marking their territory with their own scent. This creates a sense of comfort and security to the cat. Medical--The very first thing to rule out is any medical cause such as old age. Feline Urological Syndrome (FUS); to name a few conditions as arthritis, cystitis, and blockage of the urethra. These conditions can cause a lot of pain when the cat is trying to urinate. It has been stated but not proven a cat may feel the litter box is causing this pain. Possible cure: Take the cat to the veterinarian to rule out any and all medical issues. Stress--There are several reasons why a cat may urinate in your house. Cats spray urine on beds, walls, doorways, and front room furniture, etc. These situations can cause a cat stress: (1) Smelling or seeing strange cat or birds roaming outside the house. (2) An addition of a new pet to the household. (3) Being hospitalized. (4) A new person in the house. (5) Adjusting to a new environment (6) Changes in your work schedule. (7) Overcrowding of pets and being alone in the house. Possible Cure: Limit all the stress. Litter Box--The cat box is one of several reasons why a cat may urinate in your house. If the feces is left outside the litter box, it is probably a sign something is wrong with the litter box itself. Common sense will go a long way - try to think from your cat's point of view. Problems: (1) Litter box is big or too little. (2) Moving the litter box to strange location. (3) A need to cut your budget and changing to a cheaper brand of kitty litter. (4) Too many cats using the same box. (5) The litter box is full and has a horrible smell. Possible Cure: Get each cat his or her own litter box. Change back to the kitty litter they like and keep the box clean.Products--They have many products on the market you can get from your veterinarian. One item is called Feliway made by Farnam. I think they are in Arizona. It is seems expensive. There is No money back grantee on the product from the manufacture. This makes me highly question what to expect from the product. Perhaps if purchased form a local store there would be some type of grantee. Good Luck