How can I tell if my horse has allergies or a cold?

She's a 7 year old paint and for about a week I have noticed that she has a runny nose. It is a yellowish color and she has a very slight cough. What could this be and what should I do to treat it?We live on a very dusty road. Could this have any effect?

She's a 7 year old paint and for about a week I have noticed that she has a runny nose. It is a yellowish color and she has a very slight cough. What could this be and what should I do to treat it?We live on a very dusty road. Could this have any effect?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I tell if my horse has allergies or a cold?...

• How can I tell if my horse has allergies or a cold?

How can I tell if my horse has allergies or a cold? Other Pet Discussions
      She's a 7 year old paint and for about a week I have noticed that she has a runny nose. It is a yellowish color and she has a very slight cough. What could this be and what should I do to treat it?We live on a very dusty road. Could this have any effect?

How can I tell if my horse has allergies or a cold? Other Pet Discussions
    • You should have a vet out.Any clear discharge from the nose is "normal" (like humans) but if it's yellow or green, that is a sign of an infection.Good luck!

• If your horse has had a runny nose for a week already and has not yet been treated...call your veterinarian. A runny nose is the first sign of a cold if it is clear but coloured mucous is a sign of possible infection and at the least he/she will need a dose of pennicillin. Another reason for a runny nose and cough could come from a horse being kept in a dusty barn or building.