How do I get one of my cats to lose weight?

I have two cats and only one of them is overweight. We only feed them once a day...a specific amount... I just can't figure out how to monitor one and not the other without it running my life.

I have two cats and only one of them is overweight. We only feed them once a day...a specific amount... I just can't figure out how to monitor one and not the other without it running my life....
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get one of my cats to lose weight?...

• How do I get one of my cats to lose weight?

How do I get one of my cats to lose weight? Other Pet Discussions
      I have two cats and only one of them is overweight. We only feed them once a day...a specific amount... I just can't figure out how to monitor one and not the other without it running my life.

How do I get one of my cats to lose weight? Other Pet Discussions
    • feeding them a balanced diet will help them both maintain a healthy weight. Most commercial cat foods, especially dry ones, have up to 25% carbs where cats only need 5% or less. The quality of the meat also increases as you purchase the better foods. I like innova evo because it's a dry food that's low in carbs, has excellent meats and loads of vitamins. It's what i give my cats.

• Yeh..i don't expect this to be a best answer but here goes (NOTE: I might be a bit harsh)I don't think you take care enough of your two kitties..First normal feeding requires two or three times max a day with specified quantities... a bowl a day might enlarge your cat's stomach and make it eat too much...( or too less if there's not enough food)..so mainly it's too much of a risk...Secondly,Your larger cat might be eating the other's food so you need to keep an eye on what's going on (Not a permanent habit just a few days)Finaly some cats are not active enough..but if your 2 cats are of the same breed then one lacks activity and needs to be played with a lot more (Bouncy rubber ball is the best)One last advice, try to share attention equally while playing and don't over-exhaust your cat too much...Hope I've been of some help!...

• my cat is overweight too, and i asked my vet and they said to monitor how much food you give them which you already do i think you said, and they said to try to get the cat to play more, (this is hard with me cuz my cat is a brat and she loves to just lay all day), but maybe your cat isn't like that... hope that helps you...good luck oh yeah one more thing, if you do have time to play with your cats, I know my cat's favorite toy is a string, or get some catnip and rub a little on a toy mouse or something, that really gets my cat going!! :)