I have a very energetic dog. What are some fun games I could play with her?

I get bored a lot so I want to no some fun games i could maybe play with my dog around the house. Ideas please.

I get bored a lot so I want to no some fun games i could maybe play with my dog around the house. Ideas please....
    Off Topic : I have a very energetic dog. What are some fun games I could play with her?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I have a very energetic dog. What are some fun games I could play with her?

I have a very energetic dog. What are some fun games I could play with her? Off Topic
      I get bored a lot so I want to no some fun games i could maybe play with my dog around the house. Ideas please.

I have a very energetic dog. What are some fun games I could play with her? Off Topic
    • Follow the LeaderA really fun game I play with my dogs and my puppy classes is follow the leader.I set up lots of puppy obstacles and traffic cones in no particular order and give each handler the opportunity the chance to be leader. All you need are three dogs and handlers. In the summer (actually most of the year here in Florida) I include a shallow wading pool, also some piles of balls or Frisbees. Well, you get the idea. Hide and SeekI play hide and seek with my dog. I put him on a sit or down wait. Then I hide. When I am ready I call him. Watch out they sometimes peek. This is good for teaching the dog to wait until called as well as fun for you and your dogMy Dog Can Do That!This is a game published with training tips written by Dr. Ian Dunbar & Terry Ryan. It has cards with tricks or performances of varying levels of difficulty. The more difficult the performance the more points for correctly performing it. The game is sold through a wide variety of dog books and dog supply retailers. Every now and then, the "Regulars" at our discussion forum collectively reveal a gem of an idea that begs to be shared with my dog training students. One of our members asked, "It's easy to start up a new game [with your dog] but many of them don't encourage good behavior. Know any easy and fun games?"Aussienot replied, "1) Agility-type exercises are fun for most dogs and the dog follows your instructions while performing. Not sure what type of dog or yard you have, but you can use make some obstacles with stuff you might have on hand: cardboard cartons for jumps, a sheet draped over a couple of split hula hoops for a tunnel, a wide board well supported by cement blocks for a raised walk. Simple jumps can be made with PCV pipes and elbow joints. Just make sure everything you use is stable and safe.2) Teach the dog to Find a toy that you've hidden. Put the dog in a sit/stay, then hide the article. Return and send the dog away to find it. My simple-minded Lab can be entertained for half and hour or more with this game.3) Teach the Go Get (named article). Sailor knows rope, bone and kong. I put all three in the hallway, and repeatedly send her to bring back the one toy I've chosen."SweetSunreyes added, "Teaching a dog to go get something is never ending. Its a great exercise we taught our lab (Brandy) we had for 8 years. She learned to "go get" anything and everything. Once she learned what we were trying to get her to do and what we were trying to get her to "get" (by pointing to different objects) she then started learning the differences between what we were asking her to get without pointing. (Sometimes we would have to point in general directions to tell her what part of the house things were in and she would go get them.) She knew how to get her own sweater, leash, harness, bones, toys (she knew the difference between ALL her toys. She even knew the difference between her food bowl and her water bowl which were different colors.) For us she would get our shoes, our purses...she would even bring us our coats if we asked her to. She fetched all kinds of things even if we told her "upstairs or downstairs" she knew exactly what to do. When she started learning this exercise and we used it Constantly. (Who wouldn't! It was great on lazy or sick days "bring me the remote" HA! and she loved doing it.) She started to associate words with objects we were pointing to really fast. She never really seemed to forget. She was so smart. I'm working with my lab now little by little on it. The more you work on it the better they will get. My Kuma could be a lot better but I don't work as diligently with her as we did with Brandy. I will probably be stepping it up a notch here soon. I have enough time to. It takes quite a while to get to that level but its SO much fun to see something learn that much and see people's astonished looks when they watched her do it. Its amazing. The original poster replied, "We've been having great fun with these ideas, thanks. She seems to have difficulty finding things unless she can HEAR me hide them (i.e. she can't find it if the washer is going), or later in time if it's somewhere SHE placed it. She seems to be quite intelligent. How to get over this?"Amyjo adds, "I rub my hands all over the item - and make a big point of showing it to her and letting her smell it b4 I hide it."Michelle contributes, "Yes, Amy brings up an excellent point. I always start teaching the puppy to search using a smelly food item.""Once the dog learns the motions of looking, he will find what ever you let him get a sniff of.""This might not interest some of you folks, but you can train a rat to pick an item after only one sniff. So I assume a dog's sense is as keen or keener. The difficulty of the task for the dog is not smelling the item, its enforcing the concept to them that they will be rewarded when they find the item so they remained determined to get the reward- so that's why its good to start with treats if you are training a puppy.""Once the dog matures and understands the exercise, I go to human articles and the reward is a ball or tug once they find the item."Nicki says, "I did exactly as you did Michele. I started with treats so he learned the game. With articles, I let the dog have a sniff and then at first I let him watch me hide it. After one or two times of watching, he gets the idea and then I focus on that one article until he understands the name attached to it. It is a lot of fun for the dog, and such pride when they find it. Give lots of praise for a job well done."Part III: More Games To Play With Your Dog!Play The Shell Game With Your Dog Want to know how to stimulate your dog's mind?Play games with your dog.I've written before about different games to play that will help keep your dog from getting bored and help to stimulate his mind. Here's another great game to play: The Shell Game.Here's what you'll need:- Three small, identical buckets approximately one gallon size. Or, you can use empty coffee cans if you like.- Kibble or doggie cookies.- A leash and training collar.- One hungry puppy.Here's what you do:Place your dog in a down-stay, in the kitchen. -- If you don't know how to teach your dog to lay down and STAY DOWN until you tell him to get up, take a look at our dvd titled: "How To Teach Your Dog To Hold A Down-Stay".Next, walk into your living room and place the three buckets side-by-side, with the mouth on the ground (upside down). Leave about one foot of space between each bucket. Put a doggie-cookie under one of the buckets. Now, return to your dog, give him your "release" command, and walk him over to the buckets. Say, "Where's the cookie?"Encourage your dog to smell the buckets. When he gets excited about the bucket with the cookie under it, praise him lavishly. Then, kick the bucket over and let him get the cookie. Repeat this process by switching the bucket the cookie is hidden under. Once your dog starts to get the hang of the game, you can add more complexity by spacing the buckets further apart. You may also add more buckets. I like to teach a dog to give an active indication when he finds the bucket with the cookie& such as scratching the side of the bucket, or barking. You can also teach your dog to "Sit" next to the bucket with the cookie. Initially you'll find that your dog will likely go back to the previous bucket that hid the cookie. Don't lift the bucket up until he finds the one that actually contains the cookie. ----------------------------------------------------- HOW TO TEACH YOUR DOG TO FIND YOUR KEYS Once you've done the Shell Game for awhile, do this: Attach a small piece of leather to your key chain. Spend two minutes pinching the leather between your thumb and index finger. This will transfer some of the oil in your skin to the leather and link your "scent" to it. Next, repeat the "Shell Game" with your key chain, instead of the doggie cookie. When your dog finds the bucket that hides your keys, lift the bucket to reveal your keys. At this point, you really need to lay it on thick (the praise, that is) and make a big deal about your dog finding the keys. You may also want to throw your dog a cookie as a reward. Finally, you can start hiding your key in other places around the room (away from the buckets). Start out easy. Place them on the floor, next to the couch, where your dog can almost stumble upon them quite easily. After a few days, you should be able to hide your keys in some really difficult places and your dog will be able to find them for you. Imagine how handy this trick will become when you really lose your keys!

• I taught my dog how to play hide and seek. Its more of "sit and stay" then "come find the treat when I yell 'come!"" but it gets her to think on her own, and after a while she figures out the places I"m most likely to be and goes there first. Its really cute to watch her looking around and listening for me. you can also go to a dog park and take her swimming. I wouldn't recommend you going out in the water with her, but you can always throw the toys for her to bring back, or just let her have space to run with other dogs off the leash.

• tug a war and hit a tennis ball with a racket and make her bring it back to you(wicth you do out side) roll the teniss ball around in a clearing on your kicten floor my dog LOVES it

• You could train her for agility competitions. This would exercise her brain and her body. Most of the equipment can be made at home or improvised.