What does a dog have to do in order to visit hospitals?

I want to take my 9 y/o blue heeler/catahoula to once of the local hospitals to cheer up pediatric, oncology and cardiac patients? What will be required of her in order to visit. She has a minor heart condition that doesn't have any negative affects on…

I want to take my 9 y/o blue heeler/catahoula to once of the local hospitals to cheer up pediatric, oncology and cardiac patients? What will be required of her in order to visit. She has a minor heart condition that doesn't have any negative affects on…...
    Other Pet Discussions : What does a dog have to do in order to visit hospitals?...

• What does a dog have to do in order to visit hospitals?

What does a dog have to do in order to visit hospitals? Other Pet Discussions
      I want to take my 9 y/o blue heeler/catahoula to once of the local hospitals to cheer up pediatric, oncology and cardiac patients? What will be required of her in order to visit. She has a minor heart condition that doesn't have any negative affects on her, other than having to take medicine. So I think that the cardiac patients would enjoy having something in common with her. She's really sweet, patient, loyal and disciplined. She is also very obediant. I think that she would be a great candidate for any programs that might allow her to go to hospitals.If she can't go to hospitals do you think that nursing homes would be happy to have her visit?I laready have the AKC's Canine Good Citezen Progran Participant's Handbook, we have foound an evaluator in our area and are working toward the goal of a certificate.

What does a dog have to do in order to visit hospitals? Other Pet Discussions
    • Contact your local hospital to find out about their policy for therapy animals. First and foremost she must be current on all of her shots. Second, she must be sweet tempered and very patient. The testing for certification can be very trying for even the kindest dogs. They will have all sorts of people pet her all over, tug at her ears, grab her tail, push her away, try to hug her, get in her face for kisses, drop food on the ground to see if she picks it up. If she even growls a tiny bit, she may be disqualified. If she even nips, she will most likely be banned. If you are confident that she will pass these and other tests, go for it, and good luck to you and your future therapy dog!!!

• They must be trained and certified by a therapy dog organization. Try contacting your local St Johns Ambulance organization. They run courses for this. The criteria for your dog to certified is tough and the training is very through. They need to have the right temperament, disposition and very good obedience to be certified.Most hospitals and Nursing homes will be more than happy to allow you to bring a certified therapy dog to visit their patients. Studies have shown that interacting with animals helps the healing process of a sick patient, lowers blood pressure and can have a significant effect on depression, just to name a few benefits.

• The CGC is always a good idea. Call the hospital and I am sure you will need a Health Cert. to show your animal is in fine shape.Many good answers here for this question.