what do i use to glue acrylic to acrylic for building a fish tank?

just wondering what to use for building my own aquarium out of acyrlic. will the #3 stuff i read about be waterproof and hold the pressure or should i also use silicone?

just wondering what to use for building my own aquarium out of acyrlic. will the #3 stuff i read about be waterproof and hold the pressure or should i also use silicone?...
    Other Pet Discussions : what do i use to glue acrylic to acrylic for building a fish tank?...

• what do i use to glue acrylic to acrylic for building a fish tank?

what do i use to glue acrylic to acrylic for building a fish tank? Other Pet Discussions
      just wondering what to use for building my own aquarium out of acyrlic. will the #3 stuff i read about be waterproof and hold the pressure or should i also use silicone?

what do i use to glue acrylic to acrylic for building a fish tank? Other Pet Discussions
    • I have always used a good Silicone. They sell some specific to Aquariums, but, I think it the same as the regular which is what I buy, just the regular. Do not get it too thick and give it plenty of time to cure before adding water. Then after the tank set up just get a 10 cent feeder fish and drop in and see how it do. I always test a new set up with a cheap fish, then add the others later.

• honestly u will probably save money if u just go to wal-mart and buy one of the $9.74 fish tanks...or buy a set with everything u need to get started for $29.97. that way u dont come home to a bunch of dead fish one day.but otherwise yes #3 should work and use appoxy and then silicone..gives u a stronger seal.

• DO NOT USE SILICONE!Glass aquariums are made from silicone. They work very well, if built properly. Silicone sticks very well to glass and if the fit is done right will withstand lots of pressure.The problem is with plexiglass/actylic, silicone does NOT bond well. While it may stick and dry, it is VERY weak. You should never use silicone sealant on a acrylic/plastic aquarium.To bond acrylic use a special acrylic glue. The numbers are for how thick it is #3 is kind runny. You get a syringe and fill it up and press the two pieces of acrylic together and inject the #3 at the top. It will run down and coat the joint. Press firmly. It is best to have a wood mold for this. It causes a chemical reaction that makes the bond nearly as strong as the acrylic itself.It takes practice. I would make a few test tanks that are small out of scrap plastic to get a feel for it. Let your tank dry for 48 hours then water test at 50% for 48 hours. If all is good then water test full for 48 hours. Empty and set up. Be sure to add cross braces at the top for any span over 12 inches.I have made hundreds of custom tanks and when you get the hang of it it works well and is easy.