What is the best way to potty train a dog while I am gone through the day?

I work from about 7:30 - 4:00 through out the day. I might be able to have my neighbor let her out around noon everyday. Is the crate training the best way to go in this situation? Should I get another dog to keep her company?

I work from about 7:30 - 4:00 through out the day. I might be able to have my neighbor let her out around noon everyday. Is the crate training the best way to go in this situation? Should I get another dog to keep her company?...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the best way to potty train a dog while I am gone through the day?...

• What is the best way to potty train a dog while I am gone through the day?

What is the best way to potty train a dog while I am gone through the day? Other Pet Discussions
      I work from about 7:30 - 4:00 through out the day. I might be able to have my neighbor let her out around noon everyday. Is the crate training the best way to go in this situation? Should I get another dog to keep her company?

What is the best way to potty train a dog while I am gone through the day? Other Pet Discussions
    • Crate training is definantly best. They will learn that they cannot poop and pee where they sleep, so they will hold it until they are out of the crate and you get them outside.

• Don't leave that dog in a crate all day, it's cruel.Try to get someone to care for it dureing the day.Dogs aren't toys. If you can't care for it properly give it to someone who will.Adding a second dog will just complicate things. If your in an apartment, your going to have landlord troubles.

• I totally agree with photo on this one. If you have a puppy, get a crate/kennel that is big enough for the pup to turn around in, and stretch out. You can purchase crates that have dividers to keep the sleeping/crating area just as big as the pup/young adult dog is. The reason for this is, a dog will not urinate/poo in it's sleeping area. It's genetics. When you begin training, get a book on this specific type of training; trust me it will help to guide you through this process, and you'll be pleased with the results. Begin introducing your pup to the crate a little at a time, and on weekends when you are with him/her all day. If you have more questions about this, feel free to email me. Good luck, and happy training. I love the kennel training; I have an English Mastiff and a Rottie that each have their own kennels.

• We used a crate with our lab and it works great. I would try not to have dog in crate for more then 4 or 5 hours at a time to potty train and get it some chew toys for teething. I think a crate is great for training but would not want to have her in it all day everyday.

• Crate training is the best way. It keeps them in a place where they won't go to the bathroom while you are gone. This will help you greatly because you won't have to worry about whether or not your bedroom/living room/kitchen, etc has been used as a restroom. They will have accidents at first, but afterwards, they will be great.