How can I tell if my 3 week old kitten is blind?

He was the smallest out of 4 kittens born just over 3 weeks ago. All of the others eyes have opened, but his have remained closed. The eyes are barely visable with just a small slit of an opening. He responds to sound and interacts well with the…

He was the smallest out of 4 kittens born just over 3 weeks ago. All of the others eyes have opened, but his have remained closed. The eyes are barely visable with just a small slit of an opening. He responds to sound and interacts well with the…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I tell if my 3 week old kitten is blind?...

• How can I tell if my 3 week old kitten is blind?

How can I tell if my 3 week old kitten is blind? Other Pet Discussions
      He was the smallest out of 4 kittens born just over 3 weeks ago. All of the others eyes have opened, but his have remained closed. The eyes are barely visable with just a small slit of an opening. He responds to sound and interacts well with the others. I am concerned that he might be blind. Is it normal for his eyes to still be closed?

How can I tell if my 3 week old kitten is blind? Other Pet Discussions
    • Does he walk around with a little white cane with a red end? But seriously.... if you shine a flashlight into his eyes, he should react even with the eyelids closed. If he does move his face or squint his eyes at all, even with the eyelids closed, then there is a good chance that he is blind. Give it another week and then consider taking him to a vet. If he was born blind, there is nothing that can be done for him at this time other than loving him and caring for him. And he can live a very happy life and be a loving pet for either yourself or someone else.

• it is still early, can not be blind and if so, nothing much to do. anyhow, wait few days more, it's possible that during the pregnancy it was the weaker kitten in the belly that received less food and grow up less, so it has t recover all it lost. give it some more time, to my eyes in 3 - 4 days it will open it's eyes.

• Some kittens are late opening their eyes. that is what it looks like is going on here. It is a common misconception that your eyes remain closed when you are blind.

• A blind cat often has cloudy or the pupils remain dialated even when there is no light shining. Somes cats are born without eyes and some have very small eyes. Usually they but into alot of things because they can not co-ordinate their limbs or can't see. Blind cats rely on scent and memory

• Wait a little longer & do not try to open them. Longer than 5-6 wks, he may have an infection, so have the vet take a look at him. I had a kitten who took about a month and he is fine now with beautiful blue eyes. :)