How do you know if your guinea pig has mites?

My guinea pig scratches himself a lot. He scratches behind his ears and he sratches his back too. Could that be a sign that he has mites?If he is not losing his fur doesn't that mean he doesn't have mites?

My guinea pig scratches himself a lot. He scratches behind his ears and he sratches his back too. Could that be a sign that he has mites?If he is not losing his fur doesn't that mean he doesn't have mites?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do you know if your guinea pig has mites?...

• How do you know if your guinea pig has mites?

How do you know if your guinea pig has mites? Other Pet Discussions
      My guinea pig scratches himself a lot. He scratches behind his ears and he sratches his back too. Could that be a sign that he has mites?If he is not losing his fur doesn't that mean he doesn't have mites?

How do you know if your guinea pig has mites? Other Pet Discussions
    • Yeah I would say he does then. The easiest thing to do is take a run to the pet store and buy a mite spray for birds...not puppy or kitten spray its too strong. And bathe them in half half apple cider vinegar in the tub. Just put down a towel so they wont slip...warm water. and just rub it in. Make sure your wet piggie doesnt sit in any drafts or it may make them sick.MAke sure to spray the cage well and sterlize all food and water contaniers. Before you put him back in...A severe case will take a 2nd spray and bath in about a week after the first dose.

• hold him, and look at his skin. not his fur but his skin where he is scratching. if there is white stuff, it is dry skin and you should change your bathing process... either do it more or less or change the shampoo, whatever. If there is like brown stuff then its mites. get a mite spray like for birds or if you find one for guineas, and that should do it.