What is the absolute best brand of food I can buy for my adult Lab?

He's 9 yrs old and very happy and active. I've recently switched his food to Bill-jac brand and he seems to like it alot. He's my boy and I want to make sure he has the best.Any comments?

He's 9 yrs old and very happy and active. I've recently switched his food to Bill-jac brand and he seems to like it alot. He's my boy and I want to make sure he has the best.Any comments?...
    Other Pet Discussions : What is the absolute best brand of food I can buy for my adult Lab?...

• What is the absolute best brand of food I can buy for my adult Lab?

What is the absolute best brand of food I can buy for my adult Lab? Other Pet Discussions
      He's 9 yrs old and very happy and active. I've recently switched his food to Bill-jac brand and he seems to like it alot. He's my boy and I want to make sure he has the best.Any comments?

What is the absolute best brand of food I can buy for my adult Lab? Other Pet Discussions
    • avoid foods with corn as filler...if you google around on premium, quality kibble, you will see a few names that consistently come out on top. you'll also find that some of the better recognized "quality" names (eukanuba, hill science diet, etc...) are really not that good at all. another, grosser way to tell? if your doog's stool is large and soft (especially soft), then his food is cheap.

• Science Diet! That stuff works wonders, I fed it to a dog that I found on the street (it had gotten hit by a car) and she gained weight (a healthy amount) and had a nice coat, energy, etc...

• Not sure if it's available in your area, but I like Wellness. I believe it's all natural and mild on the digestive tract. I want to say it's free of preservatives. Available in 3 flavors; a bit pricey, but worth it. My chow's coat shines!

• Our dogs are about the same age and being health and earth friendly folks we give them Flint River Dog food. It is a mail order company and uses the best ingridents. Not a corn based diet like most dogs foods, as corn is harder on their digestive tracks. Our dogs love it!You might want to look into it at http://www.flintriver4healthypets.com/senior_kibble.html This is the senior dog food, special for their needs.

• the best food for him would be ANY brand (even a store brand) as long as the first ingredient is meat. we have a lab/golden retriever mix and our vet says brand don't matter the ingredients do- meat need to be the first ingredient if you can't find one with it as #1 then it should at least be in the top 3.

• We use Fromm Dog food. It is pretty good dog food. Also we adopted one of our dogs from RAGOM (rescue a golden of minnesota) and they had all their dogs on a "Raw" diet. So you could look into that too.

• i have a lab puppy...aren't the just the best!!!we asked our vet what the best food was for him and she said that you get what you pay for....so, we shopped a few different brands and settled on purina ONE for large breed puppies (they make food for adults too!). it's main ingredient is meat, so you are getting more bang for your buck. it's not mostly fillers, so i know that he's getting a good diet.he also has a great dispostion, shiny coat (doesn't shed much at all), and the food has glucosamine which helps in joint health (people take it for joint therapy)!and you know labs need joint help b/c of their problems with hip displaysia.i would go with something that has mainly meat in it and also check the other stuff in it for added extras that are good!so, check out purina one or something else that looks like a good pick!good luck and take care!

• Not a lot of difference among the premium brands. I fed my Labrador Retriever Eukanuba products (varying by life stage and condition) her entire life. She was a very pretty, active and healthy dog until her age caught up with her.She was put to sleep last week at 13 years of age (brain tumor). I miss her terribly.

• well done you for wanting the best for mans best friend - or womans in my case. i feed my dogs pedigree chum complete but i think you must come from a different country (I'm from fife, scotland)the reason i feed them that is it comes in all varieties (puppy, senior and light) i don't know if its available where you are but i think its the best and my dogs really enjoy it.At the same time though, you said your dog is happy and active so maybe you should stick to what he's having now as it must be doing him good. call the local vets and just ask for advice or have a look on the net for pet care sites.Good luck and thumbs up for being a responsible pet owner - your dog must love you for it x

• Read the label on your dog food bag.fresh meat should be the first thing on the labelthen look for whole grains like brown rice and whole ground barley or oats.Then llok for a fat source stuff like flaxseed and sesame oil are good poultry fat and beef tallow are not as good.Then look for minerals. then look for other ingredients.Stay away from any food that list corn in the top 5 things is the food.Corn is a cheap filler and one of the things dogs can have problems with.Wellness and Solid Gold, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Preimum Edge, Inova are all good foods.I my self do not care for Iams Euknuba or Sicence Diet as all contain some of the cheaper fillers and some have by products.

• We feed Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and it's on the low end of the good brands. Wellness, Innova, Natural Balance, and Canidae are all great foods.Anything with corn in it is junk for dogs. They use corn as a cheap filler so they don't have to spend as much to make it. So look for a food that has no corn or other fillers. If you feed better food, it will really show in the dog. They will be shinier and have less skin problems, they will poo less and it will be smaller and easier to clean up. The absolute Best food you could feed him would be a raw diet. It's as close to as natural diet as you can get for a dog. Look up some of the brands I mentioned and check out their ingredients. Then compare them to ones like Iams, Purina, and Science Diet. You can really see the difference in the better food.