Do you think its ok to use roping reins when you just ride for fun and on trails?

I only ride for fun and on trails right now and I would like to get pair of either roping reins or barrel reins. I like these because you don't have to tie them like the split reins (that is if you want). Are they kind of the same to ride with as split…

Do you think its ok to use roping reins when you just ride for fun and on trails?

I only ride for fun and on trails right now and I would like to get pair of either roping reins or barrel reins. I like these because you don't have to tie them like the split reins (that is if you want). Are they kind of the same to ride with as split…...
    Off Topic : Do you think its ok to use roping reins when you just ride for fun and on trails?...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Do you think its ok to use roping reins when you just ride for fun and on trails?

Do you think its ok to use roping reins when you just ride for fun and on trails? Off Topic
      I only ride for fun and on trails right now and I would like to get pair of either roping reins or barrel reins. I like these because you don't have to tie them like the split reins (that is if you want). Are they kind of the same to ride with as split reins are? I know that most split reins are longer then roping or barrel reins are. And what do you think about using roping reins or barrel reins for trails? Thanks!

Do you think its ok to use roping reins when you just ride for fun and on trails? Off Topic
    • They shouldn't cause you a problem. Go with what you're comfortable with as long as you're capable of controlling the horse. If the horse is barn-sour or obstinate the unsplit reins are the best because if the break out in a run and you lose one of the reins, you could have trouble controlling the horse. You can always tie them together in a knot if you have to.

• Personally I do ride in roping reins most of the time on trails because they cant get ripped out of your hands and you don't have to tie them. Trail riding is supposed to be relaxing and fun so ride in what your comfortable.

• well its all personal preference. ride in what you are comfortable in. i use both just depends on the horse im ridding. as with 7 different horses i cant have them all in the same bit.

• Depending on where you ride, I might not advise using roping or barrel reins. For trails, the reins should always be leather, which willl break if they become entangled. Rope or nylon reins won't break, and they tend to cling to debris if you ride in wooded areas. Roping reins (some) and barrel reins are often not long enough, and if you need to do a one rein stop, it is often impossible to disengage the off rein altogether to effectively engage only one rein. If they are leather, they are often thicker, tougher leather that is less likely to break in an emergency.You are better off with split western reins, and you can tie the ends of split reins when it is convenient, but keep them separate most of the time, and especially if you will be allowing the horse to drink from any body of water. Loop reins are fine if they are breakable leather and of sufficient length such as most English reins are. I've known a horse to drown himself when heavy loop reins got caught in his legs. The rider waded him into the creek for a drink, and fed the reins down his neck to give him more length, and as he pawed at the water, he caught a leg in them. He immediately panicked and fell, the rider came off and as he struggled, he pulled his own head down into the water. The owner could not free him. He kept pulling himself under the water, and the panicked owner couldn't free him. Had the reins been split, or made from leather which would have broken, he could have righted himself.So, it's really best to use longer, breakable, and split reins for maximum safety and function when you hit the trails.

• What about using english style reins? They have a buckle on the end so there's no knot to mess with and are usually made of leather which will give in an emergency should you need them to.Other than that, I say go with what you're comfortable with.