How can I get my dog to stop growling at me and my other dogs when it feels threatened?

My poodle/doxin growls each time my other dogs goes near him when it has a toy or object in it's possesion. I have been trying to train my dogs using the "dog whisperer" style. By not reacting and yelling, but by using a stearn "ssh" sound. But it has…

How can I get my dog to stop growling at me and my other dogs when it feels threatened?

My poodle/doxin growls each time my other dogs goes near him when it has a toy or object in it's possesion. I have been trying to train my dogs using the "dog whisperer" style. By not reacting and yelling, but by using a stearn "ssh" sound. But it has…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I get my dog to stop growling at me and my other dogs when it feels threatened?...

• How can I get my dog to stop growling at me and my other dogs when it feels threatened?

How can I get my dog to stop growling at me and my other dogs when it feels threatened? Other Pet Discussions
      My poodle/doxin growls each time my other dogs goes near him when it has a toy or object in it's possesion. I have been trying to train my dogs using the "dog whisperer" style. By not reacting and yelling, but by using a stearn "ssh" sound. But it has not been working. Especially when he goes into his cage where he is in his "safety zone". I even try saying NO and if I try to take the object away, he gets even more aggressive. What techniques should I try or do?I have 2 other male dogs, which make the growling a little more tense and I take the toys(such as rawhides) away because it causes the dog I am talking about to growl and bark which causes the other male dogs to react and sometimes growl and bark and sometimes bite back. He doesn't growl all the time, only when I am too close.

How can I get my dog to stop growling at me and my other dogs when it feels threatened? Other Pet Discussions
    • Some of these small breeds can be a little psycho. Keep some favorite treats close. When the dog feels threatened or gets aggressive, use the treats and be playful and see if you can change the mood. Like I said some of these small breeds really do seem to have mental issues, so it may only work short term. Good Luck.

• Dogs growl for a number of reasons. If someone is coming near him when he has a toy or piece of food, he's warning them away and letting everyone know that it is his. He needs to know that you are the 'alpha' and that you can and will take things when needed. Having said that, you shouldn't be taking things away from him that he should be allowed to have. In his crate, that is his territory, why are you taking things away from him. I would put his toys away and only give them when it's ok. If he becomes aggressive when people walk by, I would firmly said, "no" and take the toy and put it away. Once he starts to understand that you mean business he should be ok.

• Your dog has a superiority complex. Your dog feels he is the leader and the leader makes the rules. You need to show him that you are the leader. There are a few things you can do such as, gesture eating, but there are too many things to list here. For more information contact me at: [email protected] will be happy to give you a list of the things you need to do to stop this behaviour.