What can I do to reduce the shedding of my rat terriers?

I have two rat terriers that shed horribly all year round. I love my dogs but hate all that hair. I know I can't get it to stop completely but does anybody have a suggestion that will help reduce the amount of shedding?

I have two rat terriers that shed horribly all year round. I love my dogs but hate all that hair. I know I can't get it to stop completely but does anybody have a suggestion that will help reduce the amount of shedding?...
    Other Pet Discussions : What can I do to reduce the shedding of my rat terriers?...

• What can I do to reduce the shedding of my rat terriers?

What can I do to reduce the shedding of my rat terriers? Other Pet Discussions
      I have two rat terriers that shed horribly all year round. I love my dogs but hate all that hair. I know I can't get it to stop completely but does anybody have a suggestion that will help reduce the amount of shedding?

What can I do to reduce the shedding of my rat terriers? Other Pet Discussions
    • get some head&shoulders shampoo, or u could invest in some clippers and cut all their hair off, will not shed then, haha, just kidding, but they make a shampoo for to help prevent them shedding, tho head&shoulders would work

• Those ideas are excellent. I would also add some dietary considerations... like adding EFA supplements and vitamin E to their diet.. and anything else that keeps their skin from drying out, especially if they're indoors during winter with the heat on. EFA are in big soft gel capsules; you can hide them in lumps of cheese or something to get them down, or pierce them and squeeze the oil onto their food. Obviously fresh water all the time, on demand as well.Daily brushing will help a lot. I use a knee-hi nylon stocking over my slicker brush (poke the teeth through the nylon) and just turn it inside out and bag up the hair after a brushing. Might want to use a softer brush on your ratties, though; a slicker's metal teeth might not feel that great to them.I use Allermyl shampoo on my dogs; vets sell it and the vet supply websites probably do, too. It's spendy but very gentle for dry skin. My vet says to bathe my dog weekly but he's just miserable from the post bath itching (just like me!), so I can't bear to bathe him that often. Healthy skin sheds less than dry or otherwise unhealthy skin, so this could help. Good luck. I know a couple of ratties and they're very generous shedders. Good luck and kiss your dogbabies on the head for me.