What shots are needed to be given to a new dog?

I have just adopted a stray dog, he seems to be less than a year old. I have no idea what shots he has had if he has even had any at all. What shots should I get for him, without going broke.

I have just adopted a stray dog, he seems to be less than a year old. I have no idea what shots he has had if he has even had any at all. What shots should I get for him, without going broke....
    Other Pet Discussions : What shots are needed to be given to a new dog?...

• What shots are needed to be given to a new dog?

What shots are needed to be given to a new dog? Other Pet Discussions
      I have just adopted a stray dog, he seems to be less than a year old. I have no idea what shots he has had if he has even had any at all. What shots should I get for him, without going broke.

What shots are needed to be given to a new dog? Other Pet Discussions
    • if you giet him on an 'insurance' plan with Banfield (the pet hospital that is affiliated with Petsmart) it's not too bad, just the first membership fee is expensive. but i take all 3 of my dogs there and I love it

• dude...don't even try to be giving your dog just something someone else says and than get in some deep trouble just take the poor puppy to the vet, it will cost you almost the same as if you do it your self plus you'll have the guarantee that yes you gave the puppy those shots if you do it on your own you'll have no prove of it but your word and that doesn't hold up in court...

• The dog would need a first distemper combo vaccine (at least one other to follow a month later), and a rabies vaccine....providing the dog is over three months (at least it is three months in New York state). A good exam should be given before any vaccines. It is not good to vaccinate a sick (or pregnant) dog. A worming with a broad spectrum wormer is a very good idea also!!!!!!

• you will need to get what they call a seven in one shot you can buy it at the feed store or some supermarkets go to pharmacy and ask for it keep it cold till you give it its for parvo distemper and a whole lot more then in three weeks later give another set then three weeks later take four rabies shot and anthor set when you buy these yourself they are 7or9 dollers a shot and docheck four worms you can do this to and worm with every shot

• I don't know where you are at but here in Illinois I go to the Farm and Home Store . They sell dog vaccination for about 5.00 per shot . The dog needs to have 3 shots and a rabies shot that the vet must give. You need to give him 1 shot and wait a month and give him another and then the last. This will prevent Parvo which will kill a dog. When you get the shot you get the medicine and a needle , Instruction on package tells how to mix medicine EASY,,,,

• Take you new dog to a vet; they will give you an estimation of age. Talk to them about getting on a puppy shot regime. That will be the most cost effective for you, your one payment will take care this shots for the entire first year, as well as exams. That is an excellent bang for your buck!On the other hand if the vet thinks that you r dog is over a year maybe just that one visit with exam and shots will suffice.