What are the symptoms of heart worms in dogs?

My dog has been acting very weird lately and I don't know what's wrong with him. I suspect he has heart worms. But I'm not sure.

My dog has been acting very weird lately and I don't know what's wrong with him. I suspect he has heart worms. But I'm not sure....
    Other Pet Discussions : What are the symptoms of heart worms in dogs?...

• What are the symptoms of heart worms in dogs?

What are the symptoms of heart worms in dogs? Other Pet Discussions
      My dog has been acting very weird lately and I don't know what's wrong with him. I suspect he has heart worms. But I'm not sure.

What are the symptoms of heart worms in dogs? Other Pet Discussions
    • Since symptoms of dog heartworm vary considerably in different animals, a veterinarian is the only person qualified to give a proper diagnosis. Many dogs show the first visible indications of infection only after the disease has progressed to the point where treatment is no longer feasible. Active dogs generally show a tendency to tire easily. Shortness of breath or repeated coughing are usually positive signs of heartworm infection. Hunting dogs are often no longer able to keep up the rapid pace of the chase and frequently drop from exhaustion. Jaundice, convulsions, and disturbances of vision may occur in extreme cases. Emaciation often precedes death. All dogs with adult heartworms should show some microfilarial activity in the peripheral blood. A blood test made by a veterinarian is the only way to determine whether or not your dog has heartworm disease. Since microfilariae generally appear in the blood within 9 months after an infection occurs, mild cases of the disease can and should be detected and treated long before any symptoms are evident.

• canine heartworm symptomsThere are no symptoms at all until the disease is very advanced. Then, the symptoms are those of congestive heart failure: dull coat, lack of energy, coughing, difficulty breathing, perhaps fainting spells and an enlarged abdomen. Waiting for symptoms to develop is not a realistic alternative to prevention.blood test and prevention is best way

• well, if your dog isn't on heartworm preventative and depending on the area you live, that may be a possibility. Regardless of what it is, if you suspect your dog is ill, for goodness sake, take him to the vet. This forum is not a way to get around taking your dog to a qualified veterinarian, do not rely on strangers over the internet to diagnose your sick dog.

• There are no symptoms until the disease is very advanced, except for perhaps a cough. Once you get to the stage where there are symptoms, they are from congestive heart failure and include: lack of energy, coughing, difficulty breathing.

• Heartworm is a parasitic roundworm (Dirofilaria immitis) that is spread from host to host through the bites of mosquitoes. The heartworm affects dogs, cats, wolves, coyotes, foxes, and some other animals, such as ferrets,sea lions, and even humans. The parasitic worm is called a "heartworm" because the parasite, in the final reproductive stage of its life cycle, resides in the heart of its host where it can stay for many years and may kill its host through congestive failure of the heart.The period between the initial infection when the dog is bitten by a mosquito and the maturation of the worms into adults living in the heart takes some 6.5 to 7 months in dogs and is known as the prepatent period.Many dogs will show little or no sign of infection even after the heartworms have matured. To some degree these dogs may be described as seeming to age slightly faster than normal as the worms slowly damage the lungs, kidneys and liver. These animals usually have a light infection and live a fairly sedentary lifestyle. However, active dogs and those with heavier infections will quickly show the classic symptoms of heartworm disease. Early symptoms include a cough, especially on exercise, and early exhaustion upon exercise. More advanced cases progress to severe weight loss, fainting, coughing up blood, and, finally, congestive heart failure.

• Once symptoms develop, the damage is usually irreversible.Since symptoms of dog heartworm vary considerably in different animals, a veterinarian is the only person qualified to give a proper diagnosis. Many dogs show the first visible indications of infection only after the disease has progressed to the point where treatment is no longer feasible. Active dogs generally show a tendency to tire easily. Shortness of breath or repeated coughing are usually positive signs of heartworm infection.