How to bathe a cat with as little trouble and distress as possible?

I have a huge cat with longish fur and a love for getting filthy. Usually he does a good job of keeping himself clean, but he got in the attic yesterday and it's disgusting. He's given himself at least three baths since then, probably more, and he's…

I have a huge cat with longish fur and a love for getting filthy. Usually he does a good job of keeping himself clean, but he got in the attic yesterday and it's disgusting. He's given himself at least three baths since then, probably more, and he's…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How to bathe a cat with as little trouble and distress as possible?...

• How to bathe a cat with as little trouble and distress as possible?

How to bathe a cat with as little trouble and distress as possible? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a huge cat with longish fur and a love for getting filthy. Usually he does a good job of keeping himself clean, but he got in the attic yesterday and it's disgusting. He's given himself at least three baths since then, probably more, and he's still more grey and black than his usual white and orange. So he needs a bath. I'd like him to enjoy it, or at least not absolutely hate it, so can anyone offer me any tips for bathing my cat?

How to bathe a cat with as little trouble and distress as possible? Other Pet Discussions
    • Its a fact that most cats dislike water and theres not much you can do about it but to help keep the stress down heres a few tips: fill the bath with about three inches of luke warm water, try to have a semi rough surface for the cat to stand on so he wont feel unstable and panic, avoid splashing and have the water prerun so he doesnt stress before hand, avoid getting water in the eyes and ears, and make sure you have a good hold on him so he cant escape and scratch you

• He may not like this but to make it easier put him on aleash or something and use a spray bottle instead of a bath or hose and apply soap...hope this helps=)

• the question is does he like water if he does its easy if not its not so easy i have had lots of cats over the years and never found a way to bath them if they hated water if he is a laid back cat he may just let you do it with not much problem if not you will have problems watch for his claws. first use warm bathwater and get a cup to pour water over him run bathwater just enough to get job done not much before you put him in. then hope he does not fight ,were long sleeves in case he does and good luck you can always take to him to a groomer if you have the money they have ways. brush him out real good after if hes a long haired like i said good luck!

• The other posters have given you good, serious answers. So I will give you a silly one, which may give you a smile in case bathing your kitty turns out to be a chore.Some people say cats never have to be bathed. They say cats lickthemselves clean. They say cats have a special enzyme of some sort intheir saliva that works like new, improved Wisk - dislodging the dirtwhere it hides and whisking it away. I've spent most of my life believing this folklore. Like most blindbelievers, I've been able to discount all the facts to the contrary - thekitty odors that lurk in the corners of the garage and dirt smudges thatcling to the throw rug by the fireplace. The time comes, however, when a man must face reality; when he must looksquarely in the face of massive public sentiment to the contrary andannounce: This cat smells like a port-a-potty on a hot day in Juarez. When that day arrives at your house, as it has in mine, I have some adviceyou might consider as you place your feline friend under you arm and headfor the bathtub: * Know that although the cat has the advantage of quickness and lack ofconcern for human life, you have the advantage of strength. Capitalize onthat advantage by selecting the battlefield. Don't try to bathe him in anopen area where he can force you to chase him. Pick a very small bathroom.If your bathroom is more than four feet square, I recommend that you getin the tub with the cat and close the sliding-glass doors as if you wereabout to take a shower. (A simple shower curtain will not do. A berserkcat can shred a three-ply rubber shower curtain quicker than a politiciancan shift positions.)* Know that a cat has claws and will not hesitate to remove all the skinfrom your body. Your advantage here is that you are smart and know how todress to protect yourself. I recommend canvas overalls tucked intohigh-top construction boots, a pair of steel-mesh gloves, an army helmet,a hockey face mask and a long-sleeve flak jacket. * Prepare everything in advance. There is no time to go out for a towelwhen you have a cat digging a hole in your flak jacket. Draw the water.Make sure the bottle of kitty shampoo is inside the glass enclosure. Makesure the towel can be reached, even if you are lying on your back in thewater. * Use the element of surprise. Pick up your cat nonchalantly, as if tosimply carry him to his supper dish. (Cats will not usually notice yourstrange attire. They have little or no interest in fashion as a rule. Ifhe does notice your garb, calmly explain that you are taking part in aproduct- testing experiment for J.C. Penney.)* Once you are inside the bathroom, speed is essential to survival. In asingle liquid motion, shut the bathroom door, step into the tub enclosure,slide the glass door shut, dip the cat in the water and squirt him withshampoo. You have begun one of the wildest 45 seconds of your life. Catshave no handles. Add the fact that he now has soapy fur, and the problem is radicallycompounded. Do not expect to hold on to him for more that two or threeseconds at a time. When you have him, however, you must remember to givehim another squirt of shampoo and rub like crazy. He'll then spring freeand fall back into the water, thereby rinsing himself off. (The nationalrecord is - for cats - three latherings, so don't expect too much.)* Next, the cat must be dried. Novice cat bathers always assume this partwill be the most difficult, for humans generally are worn out at thispoint and the cat is just getting really determined. In fact, the dryingis simple compared to what you have just been through. That's because bynow the cat is semipermanently affixed to your right leg. You simply popthe drain plug with your foot, reach for your towel and wait.(Occasionally, however, the cat will end up clinging to the top of yourarmy helmet. If this happens, the best thing you can do is to shake himloose and to encourage him toward your leg.) After all the water isdrained from the tub, it is a simple matter to just reach down and dry thecat. In a few days the cat will relax enough to be removed from your leg. Hewill usually have nothing to say for about three weeks and will spend alot of time sitting with his back to you. He might even becomepsychoceramic and develop the fixed stare of a plaster figurine. You will be tempted to assume he is angry. This isn't usually the case. Asa rule he is simply plotting ways to get through your defenses and injureyou for life the next time you decide to give him a bath. But, at leastnow he smells a lot better. -- by Tomas Smith