What do I need to know about whelping chihuahua puppies?

I have 2 rescue chihuahuas. The female came to me pregnant. She is due in about 3 weeks (as far as I can tell.)What supplies do I need, and what should I know before this starts? Will I need to assist?

I have 2 rescue chihuahuas. The female came to me pregnant. She is due in about 3 weeks (as far as I can tell.)What supplies do I need, and what should I know before this starts? Will I need to assist?...
    Other Pet Discussions : What do I need to know about whelping chihuahua puppies?...

• What do I need to know about whelping chihuahua puppies?

What do I need to know about whelping chihuahua puppies? Other Pet Discussions
      I have 2 rescue chihuahuas. The female came to me pregnant. She is due in about 3 weeks (as far as I can tell.)What supplies do I need, and what should I know before this starts? Will I need to assist?

What do I need to know about whelping chihuahua puppies? Other Pet Discussions
    • Don't you hit those little doggies (sorry , I couldn't resist, I know that whelping is about giving birth). Provide her with dog food for pregnant dogs, give her a box with some rags or torn up newspapers or something absorbent, and maybe talk to the Vet, to see what he might suggest. Otherwise, let nature take it's course. Good Luck.

• call the vet and explain the situation. Chihuahuas can have problems giving birth because they're so small Better safe to warn the vet that you might have to come in, the vet can also tell you warning signs to watch for and tell you when it is time to bring the dog in for a possible c-section if it comes to that. If you can see the dog physically straining to have apuppy and she's been straining with no pup for more than 90 minutes, this is a Very Bad Thing. yes u need to insist

• You need to get a good book about whelping, try dogwise.com. You will learn what kinds of problems to look for as well as a list of supplies to have on hand.You will also need to build or buy a whelping box with pig rails.If you don't know when she is due you better get ready, it could be sooner than you think!She may very well need help! Talk to your Vet and get prepared. Good luck!