How can my friend keep snakes away from their property?

My friend live in an area close to a forest and they have a white husky, there are snakes around in the area and every month there is at least one snake in the backyard. They also have a pool and a deck serounding the pool, and the deck is about half…

My friend live in an area close to a forest and they have a white husky, there are snakes around in the area and every month there is at least one snake in the backyard. They also have a pool and a deck serounding the pool, and the deck is about half…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can my friend keep snakes away from their property?...

• How can my friend keep snakes away from their property?

How can my friend keep snakes away from their property? Other Pet Discussions
      My friend live in an area close to a forest and they have a white husky, there are snakes around in the area and every month there is at least one snake in the backyard. They also have a pool and a deck serounding the pool, and the deck is about half feet obove the ground so it is a good hiding place. PLEASE tell me how to help my friend and how they can keep the snakes away of their property as much as possible (poison or whatever).Thank you.

How can my friend keep snakes away from their property? Other Pet Discussions
    • Poison isn't a good solution if they have a Husky. I don't think that there is a good way to keep snakes out permanently. They really should keep the yard free of clutter and other areas where the snakes can hide. Keep is as empty as possible. Also, keep the grass cut and weeds removed to take away hiding places. At least that way they can easily see what's there.What about a block wall around the property 3'-4' in height. Snakes won't go over the wall. Should at least slow them down. Don't they also burrow? That's harder to deal with.

• Put something out there that the snake doesn't like. Owl, hawk, etc. Study and find the smell that they don't like and put that out there. They should stay away. If you use poison you might poison other things than just the snake.

• There is a snake repellant that most major home improvement stores carry - I do not remember the name, but it looks like cat litter - it has a strong smell to it, also.I also know that moth balls deter snakes from any area the moth balls are in - the moth balls are a lot cheaper - try those first!

• Get a mongoose. However, be careful. While adept at killing snakes and rats, and often introduced to areas for this purpose (usually disastrously, as they also eat other mammals, birds, and birds' eggs).Some species of mongoose can be easily domesticated. They are fairly intelligent and can be taught simple tricks, so they are often kept as pets to protect the home from vermin. However, they can be more destructive than desired; when imported into the West Indies for the purpose of killing rats, they destroyed most of the small, ground-based fauna. Because of this, it is illegal to import mongooses into the United States.If you're in the US... My suggestion - try one of it's cousins, like the Ferret or Weasel. If you get them as pups, they can be taught amazing things.

• This may sound nasty, but it really works! We live with a creek in our back yard, and woods behind that, so we have frogs and fish and snakes and hawks and raccoons. We love having all that wildlife, but we don't want all of it real close to the house! Our trick? Save your family's urine for one morning in a chamber pot and pour it at the edges of the property, thereby 'marking' your territory. You will need to do this about once a week, or more often if it rains, but it WILL work, and it's natural! We have copperheads here, and I usually see one or two a season. Not a one this year! A neighbor told us about this, and I swear it works for all wildlife. It doesn't run them off, it just marks a boundary!

• well, i disaprove of this, but you can buy this stuff you spread on the ground. its pretty much like anti-bug stuff, but for snakes. you can probably find it at walmart, lowes or somethin.

• the best course of action is to understand that due their location so close to the forest it may be almost impossible to prevent all encounters with snakes in their backyard, the best way to approach this is by educating your self before money is wasted trying to experiment in a possible solution but a know and university tested repellent is available not destroy by rain, and affective against poison nous and non poisonous snakes it comes in 4 pounds packages and cost in the range of 14.48 guaranteed to last up to 3 months.

• 1. Snakes do not work much by scent, so most scent-based systems will not chase them away. Mothballs seem to be moderately effective- if you use a LOT of them and refresh them after any rain. Tip- you'll know you have enough when the smell really bothers you as well.2. There is no known effective snake repellent made. That does not mean they don't sell stuff for that, just that it is not proven to work.3. No standard fencing can keepsnakes away.So, what to do?Think like a snake.a.) For the most part, snakes hate to be seen. If you see a snake, it is almost trying to find a place to go away to. b.) Snakes only hang around if there is food, water, and shelter nearby. Get rid of one of these and you'll knock them back. Get rid of two and they will pretty much leave.c.) The snakes you speak of mostly eat rodents, and hide in thorny shrubs, areas of broken up rocks, etc.d.) Rake the area under the deck to eliminate hiding places there. Plain bare dirt is not attractive to snakes.