How can I get my dog to go up and down stairs?

He is literally terrified of stairs. He will not even go near them, let alone up/down them. I don't know how to get him to use the stairs, and since I'll be moving to an apartment with stairs in it, I need to train him to use them. I've tried putting…

He is literally terrified of stairs. He will not even go near them, let alone up/down them. I don't know how to get him to use the stairs, and since I'll be moving to an apartment with stairs in it, I need to train him to use them. I've tried putting…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How can I get my dog to go up and down stairs?...

• How can I get my dog to go up and down stairs?

How can I get my dog to go up and down stairs? Other Pet Discussions
      He is literally terrified of stairs. He will not even go near them, let alone up/down them. I don't know how to get him to use the stairs, and since I'll be moving to an apartment with stairs in it, I need to train him to use them. I've tried putting treats on each step but that doesn't work, as he just gets the first one and then leaves. Any advice?

How can I get my dog to go up and down stairs? Other Pet Discussions
    • I think you should slowly walk him up stairs then reward him with a treat if he makes it at the top. Practice often while you are holding his collar or such and always reward! GOOD LUCK! It is a tricky thing to do!

• we had the same problem when we had her on a coller and leash, we bought a harness, and since than she seems to be doing better. i had to stay on the step that she was on at first to make her feel more secure maybe i'm not sure but it seemed to work for us, give it a try...

• try getting him to chase a laser light than eventualy get him to follow it up the stairs. or use the tekniq that you put him on a leash and walk close to the stairs then when he stops hold a treat about 1 1/2 feet further than his head, then walk away and come back each time trying to get him further then the last time and each time giving him a treat 1 1/2 feet away from him. he might have gotten beaten up on or by a staircase, either by another dog or (lets hope its not you!!)by a former owner

• I think that you should find a female dog he is attracted to that is not scared to go up the stairs and he will follow her up and down the stairs. After awhile he won't be scared to go up and down the stairs anymore.

• PUT HIM HALFWAY DOWN THE STAIRS AND CALL HIM DOWN. THEN PUT HIM HALFWAY DOWN THE STAIRS AND CALL HIM UP. IF HE ACCOMPLISHES IT THEN GIVE HIM THE TREAT. ALSO TRY IT WITH A LEASH, CALL HIM AND GENTLY TUG ON THE LEASH COERCING HIM UP OR DOWN THE STAIR. HE'LL EVENTUALLY GET IT.

• Treats in the second step :).Firstly, is there a reason other than fear why your dog won't go down steps? Some dogs are not scared of steps but might have mild or severe hip Dysplasia that might cause pain when they climb on steps. Some other dogs might have eye problems that affect depth perception that causes them to percieve steps as a big cliff. Firstly make sure that he is physically fine.Then, if your dog is strongly bonded to you, go to a flight of stairs in an area not strongly familiar to him (i.e not in your house) and put him on a long leash. Climb up halfway to the first landing (up four steps or so) and call him. Crouch down, call him in a happy voice, make him `want' to come to you. If he tries to move in the opposite direction, then don't follow him, turn around and walk up to the landing. If your dog worries that you may leave without him, he will follow. A gentle lead collar might help as well. Reward him profusely when he does come up. If the dog still does not come it could mean one of 3things.1. Fear of stairs.2. Does not see you as leader, or himself as submissive to you.3. He is highly independent and does not wish to please you.In that case "Good owners, Great dogs" is a great book to own to train your dog- as it offers more intensive information. You can get it for less than 10 bucks at amazon if you buy it used.Good luck.

• I had the same problem with my dog when I was a kid. She was absolutely terrified of stairs. So, I took a box of Cheese-its and placed one cheese-it on each stair going up. It took several days before she made it up the stairs. One box of cheese-its later she had no problems going up or down. Once she was up you could tell she was like there's nothing to it and I was afraid?!