How do kittens learn to use the litterbox?

My fiance says they just know or that there is something in the litter that tells the cat it's the potty place but I don't believe him! Especially because his cat recently peed in his bed despite the litterbox being a few feet away and being clean. What…

My fiance says they just know or that there is something in the litter that tells the cat it's the potty place but I don't believe him! Especially because his cat recently peed in his bed despite the litterbox being a few feet away and being clean. What…...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do kittens learn to use the litterbox?...

• How do kittens learn to use the litterbox?

How do kittens learn to use the litterbox? Other Pet Discussions
      My fiance says they just know or that there is something in the litter that tells the cat it's the potty place but I don't believe him! Especially because his cat recently peed in his bed despite the litterbox being a few feet away and being clean. What makes a cat pee someplace other than the litterbox if the litterbox is accessible and clean?

How do kittens learn to use the litterbox? Other Pet Discussions
    • Usually they learn it from their moms. Cats are pretty fussy creatures, and they usually pick this up pretty quickly. One thing you need to remember is to keep the litter box clean, and maybe keep it away from where their food and water are kept. If the litter box is too messy, or if they find that it is too close to their food and water, they may start using alternative restroom facilities. Good luck!

• When you see your kitty about to pee grab him and put him in the tray. Once his 'been' in it once leave a little of the dirty litter in the tray everytime you change it that way the kitten will smell its own scent annd go back there every time.Hope this helps, Abby x

• You have to train them just get some food and tell them to come and if they do pat the cat and tell it good boy-girl.If it doesn't come hit it on the nose of but and say bad boy-girl. Thanks,this is jlopolo2345 for more information go to train kittens.com

• I m not trying to offend you so please dont take it that way but you my be the problem the cat might act like it likes you but cats are passive agressive and peeing and pooping in places other than the litter box is there way of showing there mad. when I got a new cat my old cat started pooping on my clean clothing she liked the new cat but didnt like sharing her bed room as soon as i made the new cat sleep in the front room the pooping stoped. If kitty dosent stop peeing in the bed he may have to keep the cat out of his room .

• we just got a kitten last week. our kitten went on his towel we gave him to sleep on. i put the poop in the litter box, from then on he went in the box. most kittens are taught by the mother, if she has a litter box. our kittens mom was let outside to go,so she had no way to teach her kittens.

• My wife has a full grown cat that peed on our wedding gift that was a blanket that's wool. But the cat never did that when my wife lived in an apartment.So I think cats like people are disoriented to new environments and takes a while to adjust.