How do I get my puppy to stop biting me?

I have a 5 month old yorkie and he loves to bit me. I know he is just playing but it hurts. I love playing with him but he contantly bits me. What can I do to make him stop biting?

I have a 5 month old yorkie and he loves to bit me. I know he is just playing but it hurts. I love playing with him but he contantly bits me. What can I do to make him stop biting?...
    Other Pet Discussions : How do I get my puppy to stop biting me?...

• How do I get my puppy to stop biting me?

How do I get my puppy to stop biting me? Other Pet Discussions
      I have a 5 month old yorkie and he loves to bit me. I know he is just playing but it hurts. I love playing with him but he contantly bits me. What can I do to make him stop biting?

How do I get my puppy to stop biting me? Other Pet Discussions
    • learn to be strict. You the big dog, he the little dog. Teach him where he sits in the hierarchy. Tough love. Be absolutely firm with him. He'll love you more afterwards and will still play.

• Slap him when he bites and say NOOOOO. (I am not saying really hurt the dog, but just barely enough to get your message across.) Once he gets the drift, simply raising your hand will be enough. Teach him with the same verbal command of NOOOOOOOO and let him see your hand. It won't take too long. But animals learn positive things with only one time, and negative things take many teachings.

• You have to be strict with him or he wont learn not to do it, when he does it again, put him down and ignore him, the more you do it he'll know he wont get any attention when he bites so he wont do it anymore

• YOu have to do what a mother dog would do why they're tired of the "kidz" messin' with them. You simply grab the dog around the snout and say no in a growling' type of voice. THen leave it alone for a little while. Done enough it'll learn not to do that, but you have to be consistant. And do it everytime. If need be. squeeze the dogs snout a little harder...it might yelp, but it'll get the message. It works really well. It's how mother dogs do it. When it comes to animals, you have to think animal, not human.

• everytime he does, open his mouth and flick your nails against his bared teeth..hard. guaranteed he wont bite. stop when the puppy whines. and after several sessions of this. don't be surprised if puppy start to lick your hands instead.

• dont do acts reversely towards ur pet..u just feed it all the time..and ignore that u want to make it controled...so just feed it all the time..but dont try to make it chhooosy when it eats any..so the good way is to feed it always, not to make it in ur lap all the time.

• Grasp him firmly by the back of the neck and give him a shake (not so hard as to hurt him...just get his attention) while saying "no." If the puppy gets really rambunctious, put him in his kennel carrier for 15 minutes. This will calm him right down and he will play nicer when you bring him back out. Both of these actions are similar to how a mother dog disciplines her puppies, so they respond to it quickly.

• No Bite!Puppies play with other puppies by biting each other! It is a very natural thing to do. It can be very confusing to a pup if you scold him for playing the only way he knows how, and then encourage him to play again. I have taught puppies and stray dogs to stop nipping and biting "people" by doing what "mom dog" and "littermates" do. Next time he bites or nips you "yelp" in a noticeably loud and high-pitched voice. Usually, the pup will look at you kind of funny, like he doesn't understand, and then proceed to bite you again. This time you "yelp" louder and in a very high pitch, maybe jumping back at the same time as if you're really hurt. Whenever you do this technique, you must always immediately furnish an appropriate chew toy for him to bite and play with. After a half dozen times of this, the pup usually gets the message. But, he is still a puppy, and he will "forget" next time he wants to play and bite again (after all, that's the only way he's played for his whole life!) It will take a week or two until this pup finally "gets it." Some learn much faster, and others more slowly, but this technique has never failed me as long as every person is consistent. That means every time the pup bites, "yelp!" Tell children and visitors to do the same. (Yes, really tell them to do the same, and make sure they do it; maybe they'll learn something in the process).  If your puppy or dog reacts in a frightened manner of your yelping, then try it again in a softer, less frightening manner.  You do not want to frighten the dog, only let it know that biting too hard hurts.As the pup gets older, if he is not 99% reliable not to bite, after you "yelp," put your hand over his muzzle gently but firmly (sometimes referred to as a nose-hug) immediately after you yelp and when you say "No Bite!" Then immediately give him a chew toy and say "Good Bite!" You always want to end a lesson being taught with praise, that way, your dog will be more willing to learn. This will also teach your dog to go get a chew toy when he gets so excited that he just must bite something.If these methods fail to work another option you have is to get up, turn your back to your dog and walk away whenever he bites or nips you.   No reprimand, no emotion, simply turn your back to your dog immediately after he bites you (the *first* time) and walk away.  After about 10 minutes, approach him again.  Be sure that you are praising him when he is biting appropriate things and not you.  This will teach your dog that he will not receive the attention he desires unless he behaves appropriately.But if none of these things work?  The problem you are experiencing is one of the hardest solutions to describe via the Internet that I have come across. That is because, if the old standby's (yelping and no bite, and walking away) don't work, then the problem is usually based on a lack of communication in general: Meaning, the dog does not understand what you are trying to communicate, so it becomes frustrated at your attempts at getting it to stop biting and in its frustration, bites more. This can actually make the problem worse.The first thing to look at is if your dog is getting enough physical and mental stimulation on a daily basis. Your puppy or dog should be able to be off-lead (off-leash), running around quite a bit to expend some of energy.  Depending on the age, size and breed of your dog, she may require up to 2 hours per day of vigorous activity.   Playing fetch and going for walks does not suffice for all dogs.  Both of these activities are quite mindless and can be done for very long periods of time without much mental concentration.  Next, teach your dog the Settle command.   Begin teaching your dog at times when she is already resting so it is easy for her to succeed. You can also teach her an "easy" command by holding a treat within your fist and allowing her to gently take the treat. When she is forceful, she does not get the treat, as she becomes gentler and more "easy" she gets the treat. You will be rewarding her for inhibiting her bite and her aggressiveness.This takes many, many repetitions. If your dog is biting and nipping continually and getting consistent attention for it (negative or positive) she may have already learned that she can get what she wants by using force.  You need to change this so that she receives more and better rewards for being "easy," for "settling" for "leaving it" etc.When you reward, be use a two and three-step approach. At the instant the good behavior is initiated (she lightens up just a little) give her the verbal reward "Good Girl!" This is her cue, so that she learns exactly what behavior pleases you. After the verbal reward, give her a food treat. (step 2). And while she is eating the food treat (or after she inhales it) pat her on the sides for the physical-touch (step 3) reward. The food treat (step 2) can and should be omitted periodically.You need to convince her that it is beneficial and in her best interest to behave the way you want her to. Setting her up to succeed so that she can be praised is the best method to do this. Using times when she is more relaxed in the first place... and then giving her a chew toy to chew on and praising her for a good "easy" as she leisurely chews on the chew toy may also help.Right now, your focus may be on all her biting and rough-play antics. You may be giving her the most attention during these times. Turn this around, so that you are giving her more (and better) attention when she is behaving appropriately. This can be quite difficult with puppies and young dogs, and her appropriate behavior may disappear quickly - but it is important that you recognize it and praise it in the instant that it is there.For example, I have had stray puppies come into the house that have never been in a house before... they run around all the furniture and bounce off the walls, and run into me biting and snapping out of pure joy and excitement. If they refuse the chew toy (a soft stuffed animal) I give to them and persist on biting me instead, I give them my calm, but firm "uh-uh" (meaning: I am not happy with what you are doing). The instant they (or I) put the chew toy in their mouth, I praise "Good Girl" and as I try to pet them, they usually try to bite my hand out of their excitement. So, I say, "Uh-uh" again. If they persist, I turn my back to them. If they climb up on my back, I get up and walk away. When they follow me biting at my heels... I throw a toy for them in front of me (they usually don't even know where it came from) and this, or something similar, usually takes their attention off me and they chase the toy. Sometimes I dangle a toy above their heads to entice them to bite the toy.  When the toy is in their mouth: "Good Girl!" and I try to play with them using the toy again. This type of scenario is repeated many, many times. Consistent positive reinforcement for biting appropriate items, and no reinforcement of behaving inappropriately. After an afternoon some pups settle down, others take a few days, and some take a week or more. They will periodically "forget" the rules (very often at first), but will begin to understand the communication at hand, and comply after repeated and consistent "lessons."Think about "What am I communicating to my dog?"  And "What is it like to be trained by me?"  Puppies and dogs that continue to nip and bite relentlessly, usually do not understand you.  For another helpful article, point your browser to: http://www.stbernardrescue.org/behavior/bite_inhibition.html and learn how to teach your dog bite inhibition.

• Go and buy some stuff called Bitter Apple. Spray it on your hands when he is biting you and then let him try and bite you again ~ they hate the taste of it and won't be so eager to bite you again.My dog thought he would taste my house plants and I sprayed it on them and the next time he took a nibble, I could hear him gagging from the taste. I had to sit and laugh at him. Needless to say, no more puppy eating house plants. :)I WIN!

• yep its the play in them coming out and those puppy teeth are very sharp. a few of the people here have given good answers...consistancy is best. and strong tones...the dogs jaw clamps down from the bottom...not the top so when the puppy bites hold his bottom jaw not hard but firm for a couple of seconds and say in a firm tone...no..he will get the idea that if i bite i wont like what happens next...i dont reccommend the holding the snout as a young puppy because it could obstruct breathing we are alot stronger than they are...if u are holding that bottom jaw he also cannot bite...lol...its uncomfortable to them but wont harm them unless u go over board ....and remember the word NO! in strong firm tones..also while the puppy is little start mounting him...that is straddling him to show that u are the dominant animal in the home...you stand over him and make him stay...there...if he tries to move away...make him stay there until he does it without trying to move...that shows them whos boss....like in a pack...alpha animal u have to become that....and hell respect you . weird i know but a fact....hope this helps hun