Where should the filter in a fish tank be?

Should it be a few cm under or just below the surface? One of my fish died this morning and I wonder if I'm doing that wrong-the tank has never been this dirty. It has been moved to my room, and into direct sunlight-but thats the only place to put…

Should it be a few cm under or just below the surface? One of my fish died this morning and I wonder if I'm doing that wrong-the tank has never been this dirty. It has been moved to my room, and into direct sunlight-but thats the only place to put…...
    Other Pet Discussions : Where should the filter in a fish tank be?...

• Where should the filter in a fish tank be?

Where should the filter in a fish tank be? Other Pet Discussions
      Should it be a few cm under or just below the surface? One of my fish died this morning and I wonder if I'm doing that wrong-the tank has never been this dirty. It has been moved to my room, and into direct sunlight-but thats the only place to put it!Should it be a few cm under or just below the surface? One of my fish died this morning and I wonder if I'm doing that wrong-the tank has never been this dirty. It has been moved to my room, and into direct sunlight-but thats the only place to put it! *AFTER SOME REQUESTS* My filter is one that sits inside the tank, with suction cups to hold it at the back. I have heard that it is a basic one, with sponges inside. I dunno anymore details, but I'll try to find the model:)BTW, I know about the direct sunlight thing by now. Thanks for the help-I will visit the pet shop tomorrow to get a backing. But for the moment my main question is about the filter-it is a sponge one, thanks for the list:)

Where should the filter in a fish tank be? Other Pet Discussions
    • in the water .i think it should be on the lower part of the tank.the filter from time to time needs a good cleaning.remove all the parts (sponches and carbon) and wash very well.i also used to wash the "rocks" as well since a lot of dirt gets beetween.

• It depends on what kind of filter you have. My filter sits in a housing unit at the back of the tank as I prefer the out of tank filters. Since I've noted the ones that stay insdie the tenk don't clean as well. On mine the tube that pulls the water into the filter is almost near the bottom of the tank. As for the direct sunlight if you can't move it somewhere else you need to atleast have one of those decorative backings on it to help block out some of the light or you'll have fried fish and hard to clean water.

• I don`t understand what kind of filter you are asking about. HOWEVER, with your tank if front of the window, The sun may be cooking them. You need to shade them. Anything will work. Put aluminum foil up at window or at least behind the tank.. That sunlight coming thru the window will make that water really hot.. The filter should be cycling the water, moving it. Need a little more details of filter please.. Good luck and God Bless {:-)<><

• It ALL depends on the kind of filter.Hang on back filter, on the Back.Sponge filter, below the water level in the tank.Canister filter below the tank.In tank power filter, in the tank.Sump filter, below the tank.Let us know what kind of filtration you are using.